cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win XP Home multiple Administrator folders

N/A

I'm running Win XP Home and I've noticed there are some spurious folders in the Documents and Settings folder:

As well as the Administrator folder, and one folder for each user account, there are 4 more Administrator folders. Each has a different suffix to distinguish it.

My girlfriend's PC has generated a similar number of copies of her Administrator folder.

What's creating the extra copies? Is it a normal Windows thing or is something sinister going on?

I can't find anything about it on MS Knowledge Base.

Has anyone else experienced this?

cheers

tankfield
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Can you post what the folder names that you are concerned about?

Also check to see what users are defined via control panel -> user accounts and see if any user names correspond with the folder names you are refering to.

Also have you installed Microsoft .NET framework via windows update (check in add/remove programs in conreol panel). This can create a few new users which are not actually required - can't remember what the names are as I deleted mine ages ago.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Hello

I have folders called:
Administrator
Administrator.MJ-PC
Administrator.MJ-PC.000
Administrator.MJ-PC.001

In addition there are the expected folder for the various users, including one for myself.

There's no user account with the name Administrator, although my own account has administrator priveledges.

Yes, Microsoft .NET framework does show up in Add/Remove Programs. I can't remember installing it, but I have installed all XP updates to date. Is this something I can remove?

cheers

tankfield
Community Veteran

If you are not having any problems I would leave .NET framework alone, it could cause problems if removed. It was one of the recommended windows updates so that is where it got downloaded from. You don't really need it unless you want to run applications developed in .NET but in time more and more apps may require it so it is probably better in the long run to leave it be.

Those admin folders look like multiple backups of the original admin folder. Maybe some software install did this but I have no idea what it could be. It is unlikely to be Windows that did this and as they are not associated with a user they are probably there for some recovery purpose. Try moving the folders to somewhere else - just create a folder in c:\ called adminsave and move them to there and see if anything breaks. If nothing untoward happens after a few weeks it is probably safe to delete them, if you get strange activities, move them back and see if the problem goes away.
N/A

OK, I'll try that

Thanks for your help

tankfield
csogilvie
Grafter

Is MJ-PC your PCs name by any chance?
N/A

The reason for these folders is

A profile has been corrupted and it has created a new one.

A domain profile.

Machine name change

Admin name renamed

A roming profile from another pc connection or user

The profile has been copied from control panel or asome backup software
N/A

Or you've done a few clean installs of windows.