cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 2K networking: help, what have I done?

docrobster
Grafter

I am new to networking, and recently got a home PNA network in a box, as it was going cheap.
I have 2 PCs both running win2k, and had managed to set up ics, but thought I would like file and print sharing.
Following the instructions in the manual, which were for win98, I changed the network ID's of the computer, so that they were both on the same workgroup (both PC's had previous lives on proper networks)
When asked if the network used a domain, I chose no, to try to keep it simple, but after reboot, both PC's no longer recognise the windows logon password, So I can get no further.
I've tried all the options | can think of re. safe mode, last known good configuration etc.
What have I done?
How can I undo it?
Is my only option to reinstall windows? If so how do I boot off the cdrom?
Yours, in desparation,
Rob
11 REPLIES
N/A

When you get to the windows password, dont put any password in, just click cancel. This should get yuo into the main workings of the computer.

Does win2k have a network wizard on it ? ( cant remember , sorry)

I know with XP and ME it does.
I run two PCS using XP and one server using Linux, and as long as they are on the same workgroup things should work ok. I dont see any reason why this shouldnt apply to 2k as well.

You need to get past that password problem first.

A bit of a rushed answer, but you seem like a person in distress LOL
docrobster
Grafter

Thanks for a speedy reply, I'll try when I get home from work. I'm not sure there was a cancel option though? Or maybe I'm paronoid!
N/A

When the password login box appears, there should be two buttons, OK and CANCEL. Just click the CANCEL without putting any password in.

Good Luck
docrobster
Grafter

As I thought, the Cancel button is greyed out and unavailable.
Why would this be?
I've started the long process of reinstalling the OS from the cdrom last night, it seems to be taking hours to copy the files.
Should I be able to repair the version of windows that is on, and re-enter the networking info?
How do I set it up to just network the 2 pcs?
Thanks again.
N/A

You could just use the following boot cd to reset the password:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

If like you said the pc use to be on a network prior to you having it, then if the network admin had any sense he would have made the cancel button disabled as part of the security policy.

Luckily for you if you have physical access to the machine, youll be quite shocked as to how easy it is to reset the administrator password with the above utility.

As a side note, just make sure your not trying to log onto a domain still. It should appear under the password box, or maybe you have to click 'More Options' for it to show. You want to log onto the local machine.
docrobster
Grafter

Thanks for that zebbedi, I've got the floppies, and will try again tonight!
docrobster
Grafter

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Fixed!!
Thanks everyone
docrobster
Grafter

Hmm, well it worked for one PC (luckily the one with all the important data on), but not the other, despite appearing to have reset the password to <blank>, I still can't logon.
So, how do I format the hard drive of this pc, ready to do a new clean install of win2k?
If I boot from the cdrom, and get to the bit where I can choose to repair an existing version or install a new version, if I choose the latter, will I be able to reformat the HDD first so as to avoid the OS choices menu each time I reboot?
thanks in advance
N/A

yes it should allow you to format.
failing that, do a short setup and then format the c drive in windows Cheesy
docrobster
Grafter

Finally got it all working, ics and LAN set up for print/file sharing.
thanx
N/A

Glad you finally got it sorted