cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 2000 Scandisk

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Win 2000 Scandisk

As some of the regular readers of these pages may recall I was having some trouble a month or so ago with my dual boot (Win ME and Win 2000) in that when Win 2000 was booted after Win ME had been used previously, an automatic Scandisk (actually called Checkdisk in Win 2000) at boot was experienced that found no fault, and was just plain irritating.

I received one or two helpful suggestions from you guy’s out there, sadly none of which worked, however I’m delighted to report that this is now fixed.

I was looking in the wrong place…as the unwanted Checkdisk was happening in Win 2000 it was perhaps natural that it was assumed the fault was in that operating system…it wasn’t, the fault lay in the shut down procedure in Win ME.

The fault has long been known about in Win ME ( it’ self a known fault carried over from Win 98 ) that causes a hang-up when shutting down these versions of Windows, and patches have been available from Microsoft for a couple of years.

To add insult to injury, I had already added these patches to both Win 98 and Win ME previously, and used the present dual boot normally for some months prior to a system crash in Win ME that required a complete re-load of Win ME.

Unfortunately, I had completely forgotten about the patch…

The patch (273017USAM) has been downloaded and applied (and saved to ZIP disk for future reference if necessary) and the problem was solved.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Win 2000 Scandisk

Glad you now have it sorted and thanks for the useful tip. :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Win 2000 Scandisk

Hi John,

If it helps anybody else that'll be great.

But...can you tell me why the Emoticon occurred at Win 98 in paragraph 4, I didn't ask for it (or at least not knowingly) and 4 attempts to edit it out failed miserably, so it ended up unwanted and rather lonely in the message.

Regards
Peter
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Win 2000 Scandisk

Its gone now :lol:

What was causing it was the combination of the 8 and the ) together which produces the symbol for that emoticon so if I put them both together I get this Cool