cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widescreen resoloution

Community Veteran

Widescreen resoloution

I was installing a new 19" widescreen monitor for a friend. The monitor did not come with any disks. I have 2 questions.
Can I use the software that came with my own widescreen to make Windows give the 1440x900 option?
The computer is a 3 year old Packard Bell. Not sure of the exact spect but it is nothing special. The graphics are onboard. Would I be right in thinking that the onboard graphics card would not be capable of supporting 1440x900 anyway and my friend will have to invest in a PCI graphics card?
Thanks, Sean.
4 REPLIES
N/A

Widescreen resoloution

You can only use your software if the monitor is exactly the same as yours.
The range /resolution is down mostly to the graphics card but will all so go off the rate of your monitor and how many hetz you are driving it at. You may get a high res but lower colors

Xp should pick up everything if its a plug and pray monitor(note I did say should)
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 159

Widescreen resoloution

plug and pray monitor

:lol: :lol:

You should be able to find the drivers for the monitor available to download on the manufacturers website.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Staff
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Widescreen resoloution

In answer to the question re: onboard graphics, you will almost certainly need to invest in an AGP video card to get those resolutions- check the specs carefully as bottom of the range cards probably wouldn't support that either.
N/A

Widescreen resoloution

I'd agree that the limiting factor is more likely to be the Graphics card.

You could try checking for new drivers for the graphics card, but if the resolution isn't supported you'll have to buy a new card.

....alternatively looking the wrong way through binoculars gives a simliar effect.
:lol: