Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widescreen Monitor problem....

pawhe955
Grafter

Hi all,

I recently wanted to upgrade to a widescreen monitor. So I bought an LG 204WT, but sent it back after very quickly (1/2 hour or so) noticing a VERY subtle but strange 'effect' down the left hand edge of the screen. Bought an alternative Samsung 204BW - and it had the same thing, only even MORE subtle. So, with two different units from two different manufacturers, I assumed that it was something common to 1680x1050/60Hz refresh widescreens, and (given that the LG was worse than the Samsung), that I'd put up with it. (I knew it wasn't the PC/graphics card, as I tried driving the monitors from 3 different PC's; first using VGA, and then two of them using DVI). Main PC is running an EVGA 7950GX2.

It's not noticable in gaming at all - mainly text and precise graphics; the best example/descriptions are:

- Grab and slowy move a desktop ICON (e.g. "My Computer") in the general top left area of the screen; it looks like it is behind a gauze - you can see each sub-pixel (but only as you move it....). Try the same anywhere else on the screen (e.g. top right) and the ICON is rock-solid whilst it is moving.

- Grab the title bar of a window and slide it (slowlyish) horizontally off the top left of the screen. Again, the "effect" is visible the closer to the left hand edge of the screen ("Show window contents while moving" must be checked...)

This effect is not noticable on the Samsung 1280x1024 that I'm replacing.... (but was running at 72Hz refresh)....

It's a dfficult one - I don't know if I'm making a mountain out of a mole-hill, and I'm expecting perfection where it doesn't exist (as it really is subtle), or whether I've just been unlucky to get two monitors from different manufacturers with the same fault.

I was hoping that anyone with similar monitors (1680x1050/60Hz) could try the above (1 minute?) tests... and let me know the results?

Thanks,
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You said it is not your PC/graphics card because you tried the monitor on 3 other PCs. Did you also try the same graphics card on the other 3 PCs or do they all have the same card fitted?

If you did not try your graphics card in another PC it could still be your card.

Have you tried with different drivers - try an earlier one and see if there is an update driver?

Does the problem occur at a lower resolution?

Was the game running at a lower resolution when you said the problem does not occur in games?

Running at 60Hz refresh is not good on your eyesight for long periods, the min should be 72Hz. I know it is less of a problem with TFT but it can still cause eye strain if the refresh is too low.
pawhe955
Grafter

The other PC's were a Desktop with an nVidia AGP 6600 card (VGA and DVI) and two different laptops (one VGA and DVI - the other only had VGA) - and the "effect" was still there on all the PC's... so seemed independant of hardware driving the monitors, and thereby independant of the drivers....

Most games (e.g. Far Cry) seem to be able to determine that there's a 1680x1050 monitor attached, and will drive at that native resolution..... (& that's how I've been running them).

These monitors are certainly not high-end - they seem to top out at 60Hz; and also (compared with other more expensive monitors) they seem to NOT display at 1:1 resolution - by that I mean, they will always 'expand' the image to fill the screen, even if being driven at a lower resolution than their own native one. What this means in practice, is that when trying a lower resolution, the image doesn't look great anyway.... makes it difficult to determine whether the "effect" is caused by the monitor stretching the image, or whether it's the original problem.... (although having just tried it - it still seem to be there when driving at 1280x1024....).

I really thought I'd covered every angle - hence the request to see if anyone else might be experiencing the same problem - even if it is only after it's been "highlighted"....