cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi range

N/A

WiFi range

Wireless Router/Modem sending out a strong WiFi signal but portable device with WiFi card is weak at picking up signal beyound about 6-7 metres. Are there any ways to get signal in to another couple of rooms using something that can plug in to wall and use electrical circuit to push WiFi around the house?. Maybe plug in connection at router end and similarly in another room (with short range wifi sender onboard the plug at other ends).
Alternatively any other options?. unfortunately cannot re-site the router/modem.
Thanks
4 REPLIES
N/A

WiFi range

WiFi has a pretty good range on it, however, at 6-7 meters, you are haveing major issues.

This can be down to data echo. WifI is supposed to cater for this issue, but it may be that the echos are far worse in your setup.

These echo are simply put, the data being received twice, though with a small gap between it. Because both the data and the echo is in theory destined for that receiver, confusion arrises.

This can only be cured with better siteing of the transmitter and or receiver. Other options including bits like a directional antena.

Where you find data echo, you will also find a dead spot near by. These are areas, where there is simply no apparent coverage.
Community Veteran

WiFi range

Post up details and brand of router and card you are using.

I have a D-link DSL-604+ (22Mb) router and when I use it with a Dell TrueMobile 1180 CF card, the range is considerably reduced, to what I get using my Toshiba Tecra 9000 with built in WiFi. The Dell card just about picks up on the driveway, but the laptop works nearly to the end of the street. But with other access points the range on the Dell card is as good as the laptop.

Chilly
N/A

WiFi range

i'm dlink660w wifi card onboard ipaq 2210 .. wireless to netgear dg834g router
Community Veteran

WiFi range

I would try changing the channel setting on the router, it may be possible that there is interference within the channel you have selected.

Also ensure that bluetooth is switched off as it uses the same frequency range as WiFi.

Unlike normal radio, WiFi does not use a fixed frequency, but skips between a number of frequencies within a channel, which should give some immunity to interference, but range could still be affected by wideband interference. Try channel 1 or 13.

I can get about 10 metres with my Dell TrueMobile 1180 CF card, in an Ipaq h2210, but my laptop is more like 30 metres. (To my d-link router.)

Try your range on other access points, because I find the range of my Ipaq/Dell card, so just as good as the laptop with other access points when warDriving. I am sure that some else near by will be running a wireless network, or just find a local location that has a WiFi hotspot, you do not even need to subscribe to just check the range.

(But please do not connect to any networks found, unless they are for public access. Thats hacking.)

You may find ministumbler helpful to find another AP’s.
http://www.netstumbler.com

Chilly