cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't my Win98SE help Screens launch

N/A

I have recently uninstalled AOL 9 from Win98SE after being caught out by a virus. Since the uninstall and subsequent manual removal of the virus file 'nscntrl.exe' Windows Help Files won't launch. A pop up window appears but there is no text at all and the pop up window can not be closed unless Control, Alt, Delete are pressed and the Close Programs resulting box is utilised.

Does anyone know how I can correct the problem without re-installing the whole operating system?

RMW
4 REPLIES
N/A

i think you will find that you windows is crupted and you will have to in stall it over the top of you window or just go for a full format and put it all back on
you should up grade to ME at least then you could of done system restore
which would of done the same as putting windows back on but with no hassel
or better still go for XP(sp2) it rocks kind of:lol:
Community Veteran

you should up grade to ME

Agghhhh!!! Thats not an upgrade Sad its a downgrade :?

ME stands for Mistake Edition. Dont bother with it at all. either stay with 98 SE or go for XP. Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

Agreed, Windows Millennium was an attempt at a quick, rushed out, money spinner. The most unreliable OS ever released by MS.

Windows XP all the way for me!
N/A

Thanks for above replies. I will try overlaying W98se. As I have never had any serious problems with W98se and installing new new hard drives or peripherals has always been trouble free, I will be sticking with it until I need applications or devices that won't run on it.

RMW