cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Do Microsoft Have To Reinvent Every Protocol?

Community Veteran

Disscuss
35 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Because Bill Gates is very stupid, and the geeks he employs are also very stupid.

Yes, he is the richest man in the known universe, but that doesn't stop him being stupid.
Community Veteran

:lol:

It's often quite funny when I speak to my Dad he is a big MS fan I am not!
Alecto
Grafter

I'd be interested to hear what he has to say in favour of Ms that doesn't involve Bill Gates being a squillionaire so he must be good.

I was in computer systems design in the good old days before Gates and if any of my people had designed rubbish like DOS or Windows (any version), they'd have been sacked on the spot. They all are dreadful to use, totally un-userfriendly (but we've been forced to get used to them so we don't know it any more), contain far too many silly and useless options that nobody in their right mind would want to use, but which make the code incredibly complex, so it's always full of bugs. In short, they've been designed by people who've never actually worked in the real world and who think that being able to have a program in 65 shades of blue and that sings tunes, (when it works) is more important than having a simple reliable program that works every time.

David Beckham is not quite as rich, but far richer than me. But I wouldn't let him design an operating system either.
Though if he could use it without help, then I might be tempted.
Community Veteran

What do you think of linux then? Dad's main argument is along the lines of:

He came up with the idea of the GUI first so his OS must be the best.

Another favourite:

The reason so many people don't like Mr. Gates is because he so rich.
N/A

DOS wasn't a Bill Gates creation, neither was the GUI.

He bought DOS to sell as his own and stole the GUI idea from Apple.
Community Veteran

Phillip, that just got you right into my good books! :razz:

Dad claims BIll Gates invented GUI but wanted to spend time on it making it better (i prefer apples anyhow), but meantime Apple stole the idea.
Alecto
Grafter

Don't know Linux, but those using it seem happy with it. I get the impression it's not easy to use without learning things I don't really want to learn.

I've no incentive to learn about it since I can do all I want (which isn't a lot) on Windows XP.

I don't hate Gates because he's rich, but it's one of the world's great iniquities that he is. Like that Mick Jagger is getting paid squillions for not being a very good singer, But then the world's not fair.
Alecto
Grafter

Bill Gates invented Dos in his garage, didn't he?
Or is that just his cover story to stop people thinking he'd stolen it? Tongue
Community Veteran

I expect there are several going round, one I've heard is Microsoft wrote DOS then licensed it to IBM as PC-DOS.

another is:
Bill Gates worked for IBM wrote DOS wanted to do windows, boss didn't he and some others broke away.
N/A

I am tryign to find the details myself now, but I think I may ever have myself confused.

It may even have been Xerox he stole the GUI idea off, however, it wasn't his own idea.

DOS was paurchased, the same way that most lager companies buy out other smaller companies these days. So that the larger company can claim royalties and sales from the software.

I beleive the name was Bills though.
N/A

The GUI was invented by Xerox PARC in California. It was first used in the Xerox Alto in the early 70's.

Apple stole the idea from Xerox. Which one Bill stole it from is unclear.

Bill Gates bought QDOS (quick and dirty operating system) from Tim Paterson of Seattle Computer Products. It was a 16bit clone of CP/M. Bill sold it to IBM as MS(Microsoft)-DOS.
N/A

Ta Tony

I know I had my facts right somewhere in my mixed ramblings Tongue
Community Veteran

You've go to give it to him he's a good businessman even if his products are rubbish and we all hate him!
N/A

Maybe. But it would have been a different story for him if IBM had gone with CP/M instead. Microsoft may have stayed as a 2 bit company, while DEC (Digital) reaped the glory.

There's a lot to be said for being in the right place at the right time.