cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which XP version to get - OEM or upgrade?

Alecto
Grafter

Having discovered that I can get 512MB of memory for £35, I'm looking at upgrading from Windows ME to XP as numerous people have been nagging me to do for three years.

Since a pocket calculator could more than cope with the computing I do,, I'd get XP Home rather than Pro.

The cheapest thing would seem to be XP Home OEM version, or for £10 more, a retail version of XP Home Upgrade.

Does it matter which one I get - I just want to put the CD in and let it get on with it.

:?:
19 REPLIES
N/A

Home or Pro? Ivan

Hello gpattison,

I think the real answer to your question is two folder, 1) which version depends upon what you intend (want) to use your system for 2) secondly cost last of all.

**XP Home (IMO) isnt as good as XP Pro because it lacks some of the more advanced features of the Pro version.

**With either version you cannot just stick the CD in the drive and walk away, both installations require user interaction like creation of username, password etc.

**The nice part of XP Pro is that you can change the horrible tacky (almost disney like LUNA interface ), the default interface & change it back to a bearable windows2000 or clasic windows style interface which I personally like alot more but atleast there is some choice in the matter.

**Both XP versions will require product activation (if XP hasnt been pre-installed by the manufacturer) and the product key for installation.

**UPGRADE PATHS: If I recall correctly you can upgrade from windows95/98/ME to XP Pro & Home but it does depend upon your machine meeting the hardware requirements (minimum of). The hardware requirements can be found of course on Microsofts website.

**If the OEM version is the cheapest option that speaks for itself really, the (retail version or shop bought version) probably has NOT been modified by the computer maker or supplier and so might have more complete features over an OEM version.

**Obviously you will probably find that XP Home costs less than XP Pro but as I said before it depends upon your requirements really (as well as budget), If your pocket can stretch comfortably to Pro I'd suggest this otherwise I'd select the retail version of XP Home.

**IMO windows XP Pro is a more complete version of windows, it has proved to be the most stable version of windows I have used so far.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Hi Geoff,

The difference in real terms betwen OEM and full retail product is nill.

OEM is cheaper because it is supposed to be bundled with a new PC or with other upgrades to an existing PC in order to comply with MS licensing. The OEM product is designed with System builders / manufacturers in mind.The OEM version has no retail packaging but is otherwise a full product.

Unless you want to introduce the domain networking features of XP Pro or some of the other security features, which generally are not necessary in a Home environment, XP Home will suffice.

Both are essentially the same core product.

As Ivan says, no matter which version you go for, end user interaction will be required for the first few minutes of set up and configuration. Once you have done those bits, it will merrily work away on its own. Set up, depending on your system, should, on average take about 39 minutes and is a doddle.

There are some very attractive prices for both Home and Pro online at the moment. Shop around.
Community Veteran

With the OEM version of XP Home, Micro$oft will not provide any support.
So if you run into problems installing it you will be on your own.

With the upgrade version of XP Home, you will require the original Windows ME installation disk to prove ownership of the “qualifying” version of the operating system. You may be able to get over this if you have Win ME on the PC that you are upgrading, but if at a later date you decide to reinstall on a blank hard drive, and then you could have problems.

Chilly
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks all. Very helpful.

My requirements are about as simple as they get, so I'll go for XP Home.

I can get the OEM version when I buy the extra memory anyway, but wasn't sure whether I could install it on top of ME or whether it would be less hassle just to pay an extra £10 for the upgrade version which just happens to be retail.

Sounds like the OEM version will do the job just as easily.
Community Veteran

Upgrading on top of an existing version is definately NOT the best way of doing it.
If you can save all your data then reformat and go for a clean install every time, as you start in effect with a fresh machine.

The OEM version will be fine and should be available with the purchase of the memory.

There are actually a few retailers that will sell you the OEM version on line without having to purchase anything else Smiley

The latest OEM version also comes with service pack2 ready installed so you dont have the 100mB upgrade downloads to do anymore either.

You will find Xp a lot more stable than your older installation.
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks John.
A fresh machine is what I need Tongue
N/A

Careful is that new or is that an upgrade? Ivan

Hi,

CAREFULL!! John an upgrade WONT be a fresh install surely thats the whole point here??, if he upgrades he requires the original Windows ME disk as a part of that process,so that the upgrade will work. Yes! I agree with you that a fresh install would be the most desireable but that iSNT an upgrade. A fresh install is just that a new version NOT an upgrade surely?? He would have to buy a completely new version of XP (home or pro) surely?

**Yes! I agree with you John installing over the top of the exsisting windowsME versions is NOT desirable either.

**But lets NOT confuse upgrade in contrast to a completely new version (install) though.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Alecto
Grafter

Well Ivan, I thought I was clear, but now am confused.

I currently have Windows ME with a restore disk that Evesham gave me.
After reading the replies, I was not proposing to buy the Upgrade CD.

What I was proposing to do was buy the extra memory, along with XP Home OEM version.

I was then going to put this Home OEM CD into my computer and hopefully it would guide me through wiping my disk, installing XP Home, and I would live happily ever after.

And if I ever needed to reload Windows XP, I was going to put the OEM disk in again and repeat the process.

Is this OKHuhHuh
N/A

Hi Geoff,

i think Ivan has misread or misunderstood what John was saying. Go ahead with what you propose and you will be fine.
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks Mark.
Community Veteran

One little task first, is to make sure that you have the XP drivers for your modem, either by downloading them or checking you have the original install disk.

This way once you have XP installed you can connect to the internet to get any addition drivers required.

Chilly
Alecto
Grafter

I've got a SAR router, so I should be OK there! Tongue
N/A

Sorry! for any confusion Reply Ivan

Hello Again,

Your Fine with the proposed XP Home OEM CD, Sorry! My apologues for any confusion caused. John Essex reply I thought was extremely confusing, his reply suprised me that's all.

No! you definately DO want a fresh installation of XP Home (one that gets rid of the previous windowsME version) You should be fine if you make sure your hardware meets the minimum MS specifications, so the extra memory will be a big help. The XP home installation should include a reformatt (or format) of your exsisting hard disk drive anyway, which then ensures a clean & new file system on your machine. Good luck with that!!! Once again my apologues for any confusion caused previously.

Best Regards Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Sorry! for any confusion Reply Ivan

Hello Again,

Your Fine with the proposed XP Home OEM CD, Sorry! My apologues for any confusion caused. John Essex reply I thought was extremely confusing, his reply suprised me that's all.

No! you definately DO want a fresh installation of XP Home (one that gets rid of the previous windowsME version) You should be fine if you make sure your hardware meets the minimum MS specifications, so the extra memory will be a big help. The XP home installation should include a reformatt (or format) of your exsisting hard disk drive anyway, which then ensures a clean & new file system on your machine. Good luck with that!!! Once again my apologues for any confusion caused previously.

Best Regards Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator