cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Router?

N/A

Which Router?

Just signed up for adsl and on advice of serveral customers didn't go with the usb modem. In the near future I want to connect from another location to access imformation on this machine, which router should I go with to acheve this?

Thanks
20 REPLIES
N/A

Which Router?

it depends on how much you wanna spend, but you want to find a router that has at least a 2 port 10/100 switch on its back and supports NAT / PAT. Also you may want to find one that has firewall rules (other than nat/pat) such as statefull packet inspection.

two good makes are Cisco (if u got the cash) or Linksys (ownd by cisco) for the normal person who doesnt wanna spend lots of cash on a router.

Personaly I would recomend the Cisco 837 as i have never had a problem with it.

Also : stay way from netgear.. they are crap
Community Veteran

Which Router?

Netgear are not crap, they are designed for 'normal' home use and are a very popular make - I and many others have had no problems with Netgear products. But if you decide to flood it with p2p connections it can have problems - as will a lot of the other home product based routers from other manufacturers. Basically you get what you pay for but you can still get a good reliable router for a modest price.

The Cisico, while a very good product is really designed for corporate use due to it's cost (around £300) and outside the realms of most home user budgets. You can get a perfectly good product for very much less.

I would recommend the Netgear DG834 which has a built in ADSL modem, router, 4 port switch and SPI firewall. You should not have to spend more that £60 for this. If you want to go wireless the the Netgear DG834G or Linksys WAG54G are good products (Linksys don't do an all in one non-wireless poduct). For the cheaper end of the market you could go for an Origo ASR8400 (about £30) which has all the same features as the DG834 but configuration is more difficult and less refined. Many people have been happy with this. Other makes are Belkin, D-link but you need to be careful you buy the correct one designed for ADSL and not DSL.

So the spec should include an ADSL modem (not all routers do, if it's labeled as a DSL router then it was designed for a cable modem to be connected to it as it has no internal ADSL modem), 1 -> 4 ports, a router and contains a firewall. This can be a simple NAT (Network adddress translation) one that just blocks incoming connection attempts, or a more complex SPI (stateful packet inspection) firewall which can be configured to block incoming and outgoing connection attempts. In both cases you should still run a software firewall on your PC.
N/A

Which Router?

Thanks all

What about the connection from another computer to this one, do I need a vpn router or one with pass through
N/A

Which Router?

How are you operating the VPN?

IE, do you have a server to perform VPN functions already, or want the router to perform VPN?

If or not you need a VPN is another matter. What sort of information access do you need to provide?
N/A

Which Router?

I haven't got anytime for vpn yet, would it be good to get a vpn router or just use software?
N/A

Which Router?

well it depends, sharing the net within the lan (use the switch) and for sharing files from home out use SFTP Smiley no need for a VPN then Wink

Netgear suck balls.. cheep nasty hard to configure.. crap. sorry but they suck. (as do solwise :S).. i have never used a P2P program in my life so if that was a jab at me then bleh.. i just fine them hard to work with.

linksys make some very nice "cheep" (not that cheep but not that expensive) stuff that you should look into.

however id like to note that teh Cisco 837 has VPN functuality built in from start Wink and has to be one of the eisiest routers for "home office" use there is. If you splash out on it its well worth it as you will have little / no problems and even if u do you can go look at cisco.com and it will basicaly tell you how to fix it Cheesy

all hail cisco *spam the cisco products*

Buz

note : not on ciscos payroll.. just love cisco products / am cisco qualified
N/A

Which Router?

Buzzons,

Netgear routers are one of the easiest routers to setup and use, they are not crap. They have a wizard which does all the connection config for you and the remainder is done though an simple and easy to use interface via a web browers. Maybe you should try having a look at one and using it, before you slate it. Remember they are pretty popular as 'home' routers, so that says something for them. Cheesy

Linksys are good, but they are more expensive and they if you want an all in one, i.e. ADSL Modem built in, then it's going to have to be wireless, which will bump up your costs.

Cisco are good, but then they cost a packet and are not really suitable for a home network. They also require networking, IP, etc. knowledge to make full use of them. Hence why people go on Cisco courses. :roll: and they are largly found in companies.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Netgear DG834 is a good router and will handle VPN. It takes 5 secs to setup and get connected. Here is a link to the netgear page.

http://www.netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=222&view=

Amazon are selling them around the £60 ish mark.
N/A

Which Router?

Netgear routers are very good. I have the DG834G and it works perfectly even when i use loads of P2P programs such as BitTorrent/DC++/eMule, and any flaws it had with former firmwares are being rectified with the latest version.
N/A

Which Router?

I would agree that Netgear are crap, though only what you are creating a comparison table with a Cisco 837 next to it.

However, I would also say they are not the best when it comes to home access equipment.

However, as a startup router, on a cost per service basis, they are good.
N/A

Which Router?

Lets get some perspective here, were talking about home applications, not medium to large business applications. Netgear are good at the area/market they are aimed at and they are very easy to use.

Using a Cisco router for a simple home network, is like taking a hammer to crack a nut.

Everyone is going to have their own ideas on what makes a good router, but there is always the price issue and difficulty factor of setting up.

Besides, aren't we really meant to be objective and provide advice here? poor person has just signed up and the first forum he enters starts a slanging match over the very think he/she wants advice on. Me included on that.
N/A

Which Router?

For the home market I believe the origo 8000 and 8400 are the best for price and features
michaelscott
Grafter

Which Router?

Netgear suck balls.. cheep nasty hard to configure.. crap. sorry but they suck. (as do solwise :S)

On what grounds do you make this assessment? As a user of a DG834, I know for a fact, that this is untrue. Lipton Ice Tea: don't knock it until you've tried it.
N/A

Which Router?

For the home market I believe the origo 8000 and 8400 are the best for price and features

Good, but why? what do the cost? what features do they have? VPN?

On what grounds do you make this assessment? As a user of a DG834, I know for a fact, that this is untrue. Lipton Ice Tea: don't knock it until you've tried it.
Mike, I agree with what your saying but as I said before how does this help?

Aaron
N/A

Which Router?

1st of:

sorry for bashing the netgear stuff.. i just took a look at my mates new one (forgot model number) and it seems to be a lot better than the ones i used to deal with.

2nd : the cisco 837 is aimed at the HOME user (with cash:p) they would not be found in an office cos they sux0r for that kind of thing.. ud need a LOT bigger one :p

3rd: cisco routers have wizards so no need to know how to set it up.

4th : ok i had a solwise sar110 and a cisco 837 so i think i went from teh worst of the worst to the best so i kinda missed out on all that stuff between.. cos i wanted reliablity and stuff and as im cisco qualified i thought hey lets get a nice router.

so over all yea im sorry for bashin the "cheep" stuff.. its just that i like my command ilne interface and the way that i can basicaly get my router to do anything i like within about 5 key strokes.

Buz