cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Mobo

N/A

Which Mobo

:shock: hullo peeps, im running a Pentium 4, 2.2 with 512 Mb pc3200 RAM 80Gb Hdd, 40 Gb hdHdd and a crap 60 quid MSI board but im going to build a new baby so im about to start all over again im looking at the "Abit IC7 Max 3"........mmmm nice but the theres the "DFI LAN Party Pro 875 P4".......decisions decisions but then theres also the "Asus P4c 800"......doh come on somebody give me a push or tell me why not to buy whichever board i know they r all expensive but i want something to last more than 6 months which is how long this pc has been alive, anyway i work in a pc shop so i get harware at cost, mainly im dling tunes and playing online games im addicted to Enemy Territory, so the best board for my prefferences would beHuh? oh by the way i know i will have to buy new RAM and im not to sure what Processor to go for anything above 2.4 can handle hyperthreading, all suggestions welcome. thanx peeps
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Which Mobo

I'm not really sure if this is much help, but personally I swear by ASUS's motherboards... I've dealt with two, both extreme-low-end and reasonably-high-end, and they've both exceeded expectations!

Thomas
N/A

Which Mobo

Whatever you get, it's currency is out of date within a month.
MSI are not bad boards, I have one in my backup machine.
N/A

Which Mobo

ASUS all the way !! P4-P800 * is an excellent board, just like the other 4 ASUS mobos ive had in the past.
N/A

Decent long term boards

I've used/supplied Gigabyte boards for over 10 years, and have had outstanding service from them (the only ones that have popped have been lightning strikes, I've had one "faulty" on arrival [a friend in the trade has had 2 doa in almost 2,000 boards he has used!], which was a slight, hardly visible chip out of the plastic heatsink retainer hook, so the heatsink would not sit flush. I have had far less grief than I have any right to expect, I suppose).

They don't cut corners on the quality of components (such as the all important capacitors). Sockets, etc., are good quality too.

To compare, I was once talked into trying PC Chips motherboards, and experienced a failure rate in excess of 60%. MSI and a couple of others haven't been too great either. Abit had an awful patch about a year or so back, refused to deal with the issues with their customers at the time, but apparently have learned and are pulling their socks up now. It will be a while before I forgive them the scandalous treatment of their customers then though.

I do like the Asus boards very much too, and there are some good deals on the P4P800 at the moment (that is a very nice board, the deluxe version has firewire if you need it), so I have supplied a few, and they are working really well in systems. If I had tried Asus before Gigabyte, I am not sure which would be the main one I use now. I am definitely happy with both.

With both Gigabyte and Asus, if you stick with the Intel chipset models, then you can't really go wrong. Compatibility is excellent, so you will have a stable, reliable, good performing system, that should go 5 + years with no difficulties (I have many, many like these under my belt).

Use the same compatibility and quality parameters with everything you plug into them, and you can't go wrong. If you are careful shopping round for your parts, it doesn't even have to cost more than a few pounds extra over and above a box of junk.

Remember compatibility is everything - it is the reasoning behind the old expression "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."

The Prescott 2.8 should be an extremely nice value processor. Stick Samsung (Korean) ram in it and you should have a solid engine. Great deal on graphics is the gforce FX 5700 Ultra. I have supplied the XFX which has very nice build quality, and I am trying a Gainward golden sample 5700 ultra at the moment, and that seems very good too (though they did have a batch recently with duff capacitors, so make sure you get one that is latest production). Latest Nvidia drivers (52.16 on) are good (wish I could say the same with ATi). For a SATA drive, the WD Raptor 10,000 rpm is terrific. That will pull your system performance up nicely, and they have a 5 year warranty too. Not cheap (compared to SCSI they are though) but the 37 gig one isn't too bad and is ideal to put OS and apps on, then use a cheapie to dump data on. The Seagates have very nice fluid bearings and are quiet and reliable.

PSU's - a good PSU is becoming more and more essential. I use the Thermaltake 420w's. Very good quality, and can be had for a very decent price.

Good luck wih it.
Community Veteran

Which Mobo

Just to chuck my bit into this pot.
All the machines I have recently built have been using Abit boards and I think they are very good.
Never had any problems getting things to run with them.