cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Linux?

Community Veteran

Which Linux?

I will soon be switching to linux on my main PC but am unsure which distro to go for I am contemplating Suse or Mandriva but the deciding factors would be:

Ease of getting my printers, scanner and ADSL to work.

My printers are:

1) HP Officejet K60
2) HP Laserjet 1200 Series

The officejet will be connected to my PC via USB however I can use either USB or parallel for the laserjet.

My Scanner Is:

Epson Perfection 2480 Photo

My ADSL modem is:

PN Supplied Binatone ADSL 500 Revision B

The other deciding factor would be to be able to partition my hard disks so that:

1) The original hard disk will be left as is with 3 partitions and windows installed.
2) My newer 120GB disk will be split into two with the linux partition getting the lions share.

Would appreciate any help on this I can't use any "expert" distros as the PC is used by two others with far less knowledge of PC's than myself I am going to get enough questions after the switch about doing things in linux despite keeping same web browser, e-mail program and office suite!
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Which Linux?

Try many distributions and find one that you like. Mandrake and Suse are good starting points.

As for the USB modem, I would recommend looking for a ADSL router, much easier and better in the long run.

Chilly
mineview
Dabbler

Which Linux?

I've tried Red Hat (before and since fedora core), SUSE and Mandrake (Now Mandriva). For ease of installation Mandriva wins. For hardware support SUSE and Mandriva are good. I had problems with Fredora and some of my more obscure hardware. Fedora has gone up a couple of versions since I last tried it, but I get the impression, from talking to others, that it may be a little unstable.
If stability is what you are looking for, take a look at Debian, it tends to be a little more conservative than most and as a result is pretty rock solid.
I can't comment on support for your hardware, other than to say the printers are unlikely to be a problem with most of the poular distros.
I would agree withChilly and reccomend that you look for an ADSL router instead of the modem, it will pay you back in the end.
N/A

Which Linux?

gentoo

www.gentoo.org

you will never look back
Community Veteran

Which Linux?

If you want to try RedHat Enterprise Linux.

http://www.centos.org/

CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by a prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor. CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policy and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork.) CentOS is free.

prominent North American Enterprise Linux vendor = RedHat

Chilly
Community Veteran

Which Linux?

Try many distributions and find one that you like. Mandrake and Suse are good starting points.

As for the USB modem, I would recommend looking for a ADSL router, much easier and better in the long run.

Chilly

I will eventually as I want to share the connection between my laptop and big PC but cannot afford it at the moment, My modem comes with linux drivers but I have read other people have had trouble to get it to work on the latest version of mandriva.
Community Veteran

Which Linux?

gentoo

www.gentoo.org

you will never look back

Just looked at the site - not for me just yet.
N/A

Which Linux?

LinuxPrinting.org is great for printer compatibility information:
The K60 works mostly.
The 1200 works perfectly.

It's not distro-specific.

Similarly, try the SANE project for scanner information; the Perfection 2480 has 'basic' support.

My advice for a distro suitable for beginners is always the same. Each major distro is associated with a colour; beginners should go for one of the primary colours: red, green or blue, representing Red Hat, SuSE or Mandriva. However, I do always recommend considering MEPIS, which is Debian-based but still easy to use.

I also agree with the advice to get a router, but I see no reason why you can't annoy PN asking them to provide up-to-date drivers.