cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which ADSL wireless router?

N/A

Hi,

My exchange got activated today, and after my line has been tested will be purchasing a ADSL wireless router. I am thinking of getting the Netgear dg834g model.

I will be using it for:
Terminal Services
MSNMessenger
FTP - client and maybe a server
Possibly web site hosting
VPN for connecting to work
IRC
News

Does this model seem the right one? I have 2 machine that I want wired in to the router at 100mbps, and a laptop that will be used wirelessly.

Thanks,
Mark.
7 REPLIES
N/A

you can't go wrong with that mate
N/A

Good choice, just make sure you can get a suitable wireless card for your laptop.
54Mbps cards for laptops are limited and Netgear don't do one in PCMCIA. You could go for the WG121 USB2 54Mbps wireless adapter, which would give you the flexibility of using it with other laptops/PC's
N/A

Thanks for your replies guys. but I've actually gone for a a US Robotics model as I have read of many unsatisfactory purchases of this router.
N/A

I had to send a USR 018000A router/print server back as the power supply went faulty sending the router dead.
I am afraid, nowadays its a lottery for quality and reliability, even with brand names.
MarkAngel
Grafter

I know its a bit late now, but I have the DG834G and it is amazing.
I use many of the features that you have listed with no problems and there is a while wide range of 54Mb cards PCMICA, PCI + USB as as I have one of all of these and they work great.
But as I say..to late now...but this is for anyone else wondering the same.

As a side issue thought, when anyone buys one flash it to the latest version as the performance improves on the router itself (menu transition etc.).

M
mitchell20
Grafter

As a side issue thought, when anyone buys one flash it to the latest version as the performance improves on the router itself (menu transition etc.).

M

Agreed - but take care when flashing - read and follow the instructions word for word - there any many posts on ADSL guide writing about dead DG834G's after failed flash upgrades
N/A

There are fixes if the flashing goes wrong - a programme to reflash without accessing the routers web interface.
It's on a discussion forum somewhere. I found it by accident when doing a search on DG834.