cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where have my docs gone?

DrSeeAll
Grafter

Where have my docs gone?

My teenage daughter installed Kazza. I was not happy so I un-installed it. Unfortunately I was doing a Windows XP update installation at the same time.
After reboot all the User settings and documents had gone. I did a system restore which got back the desktop settings but all the docs belonging to two Users (my daughter and me) are still missing. My wife's Docs and Settings are intact.
I've searched for the missing docs and cannot find them. They are not in the recycle bin. They are not in the renamed folders made by System Restore.

The shortcuts to them are still in the Recent Documents folder, but clicking on a shortcut gives "This doc has been moved or does not exist".
Address Book and Favorites are also missing.

Where have they gone? Can I get them back?
I'm using Win XP Home Sp1 with all updates installed.

TIA
4 REPLIES
N/A

Where have my docs gone?

It pretty much sounds like they have gone.

System restore provides a system from which you can restore vital files and setting, such that the system can become usable again.

What it doesn't do is produce backups of your documents.

You may be able to restore your files using some restore software, however, this is not allways cheap.

Somebody else may be able to help you further on software that you could use, however, there is no simple solution that you may have been hoping for.
N/A

Where have my docs gone?

It's more difficult and therefore more expensive to recover files in NTFS.
You could try the trial version of 'Final Recovery' and see if you have any
luck in restoring some of the smaller files and perhaps purchase the full version which doesn't have any file size restriction, if it works.
'Recover it All' is a professional programme with good support but
more expensive.
Another point to mention is if you've uninstalled Kazaa run Ad-Aware
to remove the spyware from your system ,the latest version claims not to have any, but best be sure.
http://www.finalrecovery.com/
http://www.dtidata.com/Products_media_tools.asp
N/A

Where have my docs gone?

They shouldnt realy have gone and should be in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\

Have a look in those directories for them. When you say the setting have gone did you mean you logged on and got a new profile? Normaly if you loos the settings because they are corrupt it creates a new profile and renames the old one.
Other than that you are loking at a recovery programe but everytime you use you pc its harder to recover anything as you could be overwriting the files.

Its a lesson everyone learns BACKUP files dont leave it to chance.
DrSeeAll
Grafter

Where have my docs gone?

Hi Guys

@Aleca
I'll give "Final Recovery" a go.
I've already cleared the Kazaa spywear with SkybotSD.

@MrWright
Yes, when I rebooted it seems new user profiles were created for me and my daughter (but strangely not my wife). The old ones (even renamed) are nowhere to be found.
Regarding Backup - you are certainly correct. Fortunately, the docs that are lost are not important.
My query really relates to how and why they were lost and where did they go to.

Thanks all for your help.