cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What soundcard do I have?

N/A

I've just purchased a new pc, a vista machine, and I'm running through the device manager and I don't see the soundblaster soundcard listed under the sound, video and game controllers. The system was supposed to come with a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Soundcard, but all that is listed is a High Definition Audio Device at location 1. The company has already made a mistake and not shipped the monitor, keyboard and mouse, so I'm getting a little wary. Any clues on how to tell whether I have what I paid for?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have a look for the audio sockets on the back of the PC (3.5mm headphone jack sockets). It sounds like the card you ordered is a separate PCI card, so if the audio sockets are in one of the PCI brackets then you're probably alright. If they're on the back with all the other motherboard sockets (near the mouse, parallel and all the other stuff that's on the motherboard - generally to one side and halfway up the back of the case) then you've only got onboard sound which by the sounds of it is not what you ordered.

Hope this helps,
N/A

There is a pci card with some jack sockets on it, yeah, and a couple of squarish slots marked optical in and optical out, although I'm not sure if they are connected nor what they would be. I guess that would be it then. Thanks for the help. I do have a load of audio jacks up by the mouse sockets as well. Oh well, fingers crossed I guess.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

An audio card with optical in/out is (afaik) pretty much guaranteed to be a high end card, so you're probably alright. Glad I could help, cheers.
N/A

Well, that's good to know. Thank you very much. Smiley
N/A

Sound card not seen by computer.

I have an Audigy and I get the, not unknown, problem of the card dissapearing although nothing has moved. You have to take it out and put it into another slot before it is recognised and then reinstall the software. It is a real pain as I need it to work. I recently acquired the idea that it is associated with using one of those registry cleaners. I am not sure about this; would have to do a controlled test to be sure with all the work that entails. If your computer does not see it try moving it. Have you any exclamation marks in the hardware list under device manager? Delete them if you have. Next time you boot up it might re-find them.
N/A

No, I haven't got any exclamation marks. I'm not really that hot on opening a computer up, so if you are saying it should be detected and showing up on that list and it isn't, then I'm going to go back to the company, I mean, it's not even out the box a day. It's not too much to expect it all to work, is it?
N/A

Missing sound card.

Does look as if it is not installed. Do you invalidate the warranty, assuming there is one, if you open the case? What an unhappy thing to happen. I build and upgrade computers and try to do my best for those who put their trust in me but others don't seem to care. Good luck with sorting it out.
N/A

It's got a two year warranty, so that's okay. Although that said, I found some old speakers and plugged them into the speaker slot on the soundcard and am getting sound, so now am unsure. I'll have to look into this some more. Thanks for the help. I chose this company because they seemed reputable and invested in build quality, so I hope it is all okay.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds more now like you've got some microsoft drivers that came with vista. The official creative drivers are here - perhaps installing them will make it show up differently.

Hope this helps,
N/A

Thanks. Apparently the manufacturers aid it is to do with the way vista lists stuff, it doesn't list the makers and type of soundcards the way old windows systems did.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Another Microsoft feature :twisted: