cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the fastest Athlon I can use in my MOBO?

Agent47
Grafter

Anyone know what is the fastest Athlon XP processor I can use in my Gigabyte GA7DX with F7 bios (updated from original F3).
Been to Gigabytes website CPU support list and it runs out of OK's at the AthlonXP 2100+(.18u) and then for the rest of the 266 fsb CPU's there is '-', the key doesn't tell me what it means. The 333 fsb CPU's are 'N/A', which the key tells me are not supported

Also F7 bios Update description tells me 'Correct AMD AthlonXP 2100+, 2200+ CPU (only for GA-7DX)'. but that doesn't tell me it will not run high.

I have mailed Gigabyte tech. support over a month ago but got no answer.

I whould really like to fit a 2600+ 266fsb (2.17Ghz) but can't seem to find any for sale in the shops (highstreet or or e-shops).
7 REPLIES
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

I think you'll find it hard to find a 2600 at 266.

Is buying a new mobo out the question??

You can get a reasonable for £50/60.
Agent47
Grafter

Apart from the hassle of fitting a new motherboard and hardware compatibility problems (I've replaced 'em about 5 times since I first owned a PC) you can get, now I'm running XP I've read in this very forum of difficulties in re-activation when replacing motherboards.

I've got a 1.2Ghz athlon in at the moment and would settle for a 2400+ (2Ghz) if it is compatible.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

A 2400 runs at 266 doesn't it??

Might be a case of biting the bullet and going for it. :?
N/A

Re: What's the fastest Athlon I can use in my MOBO?

Anyone know what is the fastest Athlon XP processor I can use in my Gigabyte GA7DX with F7 bios (updated from original F3).
Been to Gigabytes website CPU support list and it runs out of OK's at the AthlonXP 2100+(.18u) and then for the rest of the 266 fsb CPU's there is '-', the key doesn't tell me what it means. The 333 fsb CPU's are 'N/A', which the key tells me are not supported.

The '-' indicates it hasn't been tested.
Agent47
Grafter

Thanks Dave and gjsweeney

This thread is not attracting much interest, so I'll do what Dave has suggested and bite that bullet.

I suppose it figures about them not being tested; these motherboard companies seem to have an attention span of a 4 year old when it comes to support for older product.
polsapple
Grafter

Having recently replaced my Mobo, it would seem you'll have to format your hard drive as Win XP keeps registry info about the MOBO on your HD.Dont know any way round it an afraid.Pain the the ar#e springs to mind.:x
Good luck though. Shocked)
Agent47
Grafter

Having recently replaced my Mobo, it would seem you'll have to format your hard drive as Win XP keeps registry info about the MOBO on your HD.Dont know any way round it an afraid.Pain the the ar#e springs to mind.:x
Good luck though. Shocked)

Thanks for the kind wishes, However the bullit biting is to do with just replacing the CPU.
Microstiffed (tm) must get a lot of agro. over re-activation of XP when the motherboard is replaced, they must have an answer to the problem apart from re-format and re-install?

Anyway, for me, the motherboard problem maybe some way in the future - barring unforeseen circumstances- but I'm getting a bit off my orginal topic here.