cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What phone no. to connect ipaq to + Net Broadband via WiFi

N/A

Got myself a iPaq H5500 and have some problems in setting the phone number to get a connection to +Net.

According to +Net Techncial support, I should dial 0,38 to fall in line with my ADSL modem. But this never work!.

Surely someone out there must be connecting their iPaq to broadband successfully. Please let me know what no did you used. ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

To be honest, the best way of doing it is using a router... what exactly is your current setup?

Thomas
N/A

You cannot connect directly to broadband with a PDA. You need to use soemthing as a gateway, such as a bluetooth/wireless modem router or using a PC as the gateway.
N/A

None whatsoever!.

According to the user guide, the iPaq comes with a WLAN card and is ready for WiFi, what's required is just the ISP/User name/Password and the phone number to dial.

When I touch the Internet Explorer option, it attemps to get a connection but 0,38 just doesn't seem to work at all!

I honestly don't think this is the right no I should be using.
Community Veteran

As I say, what's your WiFi netowrking setup? Where's your access point/gateway?

Thomas
Community Veteran

Your WiFi card is just a non-wires version of a network card and Ethernet cable. With either you have to 'talk to' (connect) a router which in turn connects to your ADSL line.

i.e.

PC + WiFi card ....(radio)........ ADSLmodem/router/Wireless -> ADSL line -> Internet.

PC + Net card ----(cable)------- ADSL modem/router -> ADSL line -> internet

You cannot connect directly to your ADSL line with a WiFi card because the ADSL line must be connected to an ADSL modem via the modem cable.

What other equipment do you have? Do you have a PC that is connected to ADSL, if so how is it connected?
N/A

Thanks for your replies guys. I' ve been away for the last couple of days.

I don't have any speicfic equipment to connect the iPaq to my PC apart from a USB cable that comes with it. (I was told that I don't need any or else I would have bought the stuff).

The iPaq has bluebooth functions and that works. I can run Autosync to download Excel and Word documents from my PC to iPaq.

Currently, my PC is connected to a ADSL modem via USB and the cable goes through a miro-filter to a BT socket and that's it. I dont have any problem in connecting. I have created a "Network" ie. my PC on the iPaq, and it will be used as an AP for wireless transmission.

I think I should contact HP technical support as they should include more wireless/broadband connection details in the user guide.

Moderators note (John) Duplicate post removed.
Community Veteran

If I understand what you're saying, it appears you have no way for your computer/internet connection to pick up the WiFi signals from your 5500 - correct? I.e. you don't have any kind of WiFi device/hardware in your home apart from your 5500?

Thomas
Community Veteran

In which case you need to buy a Wireless Access point (WAP) which will plug into your PC so your iPaq can communicate with it via WiFi. You then use ICS (internet connection sharing) on your PC to link the WAP port to your USB modem and thus your iPaq connects to the internet via your PC.

Some examples here: http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPP-Wireless_Access_Points

However, they are not cheap and you can actually get a complete new 4port ADSL modem/router/wireless devices for similar prices which means you can throw away your USB ADSL modem and allow your iPaq to connect to the internet without your PC being on. e.g. Linksys WAG54G or Netgear DG834G
Community Veteran

I think just a WiFi USB/PCI adapter would work wouldn't it? Windows can then be configured to share the internet connection using that, and the connection with the 5500 could be made in Ad-hoc mode...

Thomas
Community Veteran

It depends on the interface and what modes the iPaqs WiFi interface supports.

But yes, that would be a cheaper method.
Community Veteran

Well, the iPaq 5500 does support ad-hoc. Smiley

Thomas