Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What make of blank media

Alecto
Grafter

What make of blank media

New to CD and DVD writing.

I'd appreciate recommendations on which make of blank CDs/DVD/DVD RWs to go for, and a reliable cheap place to get them.

I assume just getting them out of the big basket at the supermarket is not the best thing to do?
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What make of blank media

Use whatever you find works well with your drive, be it cheap or expensive.

As for buying, I just get whatever's cheap in town (I know that's not what I said to do but I'm a skinflint) I have in the past used a website called http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/ who were pretty good but you need to place a decent order for it to be worthwile!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

What make of blank media

I usually use http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/. Pretty cheap, good service. Never had a problem with the yet.

Phil
Denzil
Grafter

What make of blank media

I've used cheap Tesco DVD-R's, and they seem to work fine.
Community Veteran

What make of blank media

I got a pack of "Fortis" DVD-R with the Pioneer burner I bought, and I have had no probs. Every disc I have burned has been good!

As for CD-R I used to use "Verbatim", which were good!
I got a load of TDK CD-R's on offer at local supermarket last time, and again, every disc bar one has been a good succsessful burn!

So I dunno really, but I guess as Daniel said, it depends on your burner!
phatty
Grafter

What make of blank media

www.bigpockets.co.uk are my favourite retailer for blank media.

And I think you just cant go wrong with Tuffdisc DVDR or CDR, also try checking out the bigpockets budget range, if you dont mind 4X DVD+r then they are very good also.
Alecto
Grafter

What make of blank media

Thanks for the advice. I'll try a few of each and see how I get on.

I think I was expecting it to be more cut and dried than that, but clearly blank media are no more straightforward than anything else in life. :lol:
N/A

What make of blank media

I've used cheap Tesco DVD-R's, and they seem to work fine.

No such animal.

Tesco are very expensive for dvd-rs - expect to pay about 20p for 8x when buying in bulk.

By far the biggest supplier of quality blank media in the uk is www.blankdiscshop.co.uk aka SVP Communications.

Datawrite is the biggest selling dvd-r in the uk. Datasafe and Ritek are also good makes. Each comes in a choice of + and -, printable and non, full face etc.

Subscribe to the SVP newsletter and once a month or so they do a cheap postage offer.

I have also used www.burn-media.co.uk, www.disccity.co.uk and www.wcwmedia.co.uk, but SVP are the best.
JonathanW
Grafter

What make of blank media

Hey,

When it comes to CD-Rs, I've found the Benq media. They're nice and reliable, and so far I've not had any issues with them. Price wise, you're looking at just under a tenner if you buy them through Amazon.co.uk

Don't have any experience with DVD-Rs though I'd expect the Benq ones to be of a similar quality.
N/A

What make of blank media

What's all this about "what brand" to buy? Almost all brand names buy their disks from whatever manufacturer has stock at the time. There are many brands and not many actual disk manufacturers. What you need to do is buy from an online retailer who lists the dye code on the disk, regardless of what brand is stamped on the top. This is why I always use SVP.

For example you can buy datawrite DVDRs which are made using optodisk dye (crap) and you can buy datawrite DVDRs that are made using Ricoh dye (superb).

Buy disks with dye codes of RICOH and MCC (not to be confused with CMC) and you can't go wrong.

dvdguideuk
Alecto
Grafter

What make of blank media

Interesting.
I've looked on the svp site and can only find disks by prodisc, ritek, plasmon, TY, MCC, CMC and TTH. I can't find any ricoh.

So from that lot you'd only use MCC then?
N/A

What make of blank media

Ricoh only make DVD+R, not DVD-R. If you are only in the market for DVD-R disks, you can't buy Ricoh.

The best quality/value disks available at present are the "Datawrite" branded red disks with the dye code of RICOHJPNR01. These are 18p each from SVP.

dvdguideuk
Alecto
Grafter

What make of blank media

Thanks for that.
N/A

What make of blank media

This page should explain the difference between different DVD media from various companies: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Unfortunately most sites don't list the MediaID and you have no idea if the disks are good or bad. http://www.svp.co.uk/ does list the MediaID but they do sting you with delivery. I have used the 16x DVD-R Verbatim disks and not had a failure in about 20 burns.

Hope that helps.
N/A

What make of blank media

I use Datawrite red dvd-r's they are very good. Buy em in 25 cake packs at a time for about £3 off fleabay Wink