cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is good ram?

chino
Grafter

What is good ram?

When i move home i will start saving for some new ram for my new project...

I am after some 333 DDR ram (184pin) and i am wondering what brand of ram is worth spending a little extra on? Also does anyone know which brands do 1gig sticks?

Thanks

cUnDaLl
13 REPLIES
N/A

What is good ram?

Go with Crutial UK

Likely one of the best makes you can get.

Make sure you select by at least your motherboard brand. Selecting by memory type and size only, will mean reduced warrenty.
Community Veteran

What is good ram?

I have nothing really to add, except for the fact that I second acarr's recommendation.

Thomas
chino
Grafter

What is good ram?

I haved used Crutial for my digi cam and my pc which i am running now (512)

The motherboard i am using is a gigabyte ga-7vaxp and i never thought that i would have to check which ram would work.... i though ram was ram so i consulted there website and you are right i have to choose a brand that is compat with the motherbaord Sad

I am just wondering should i use there guide (http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Support/TechnologyGuide/TechnologyGuide_37.htm)as a bible for all future ram purchases? or should i just stick to crutial?

Also sorry it's pc3200 ram i am after....

Thanks

cUnDaLl
N/A

What is good ram?

I would follow the advice of the Crucial web-site.

Mainly because it is a central place to obtainpricing and specification details, on the supported DIMMs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What is good ram?

Depends on what you plan on doing, if its just a occasion Gaming pc any ram will help, especially 2k/XP as they really need 320 minimum ideally 512.

But if you plan on overclocking then the general rule is the more you spend the better. You can spend £30 on a stick of Generic 256 2700 or 3200 that will do most PC's, but you might just be unlucky. Some cheap ram is very motherboard fussy.

So get the best you can afford.

edit: just looked at that link and most if not all listed, are what I'd call Cheap ram. Stick to Crucial
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
chino
Grafter

What is good ram?

I am using the pc mainly for downloading, watching movies & a bit of working...

No gaming not my sort of thing..

I think i will stick to crucial as you all have said it seems to be the best.

My mothboard has 3 dimm slots... I can either have 3 pc2700 or 2 pc3200

What would be the best to go for as if i use pc2700 it allows my overall ram size to be a lot higher than with pc3200...

Is there a masive difference between pc2700 to pc3200? eg enough to notice?

Thanks again

cUnDaLl
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

What is good ram?

If speed isn't an issue or future upgrades then 2700 will do fine unless your planning on building a new pc in the near future, then 3200 will be more future proof but not by much. As theres new ram coming out soon which will be used on the newer motherboards.

So I'd buy a stick of 512 in either 2700/3200 but the cost would be the decider.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

What is good ram?

Personaly, I would try and use as fewer sticks as possible.

That would mean stick to 2700.

This will allow for future upgrading, with higher capacity if needed.

The speed surounding the 3200/2700 is not very noticable.

You will only realy get a btter perfomance out of gaming, and high memory bandiwdth applications.

This means, while a program may have to hog your memory to death to function, they don't allways need to axchange high valumes of it very fast.

In the world fo gaming, you would only ever see 0.x FPS value increase, as most of the loaded data is fast storage retrieval, and doesn't need fabulous speeds.

However, this being said, you would likely see a better gameing improvment, on machines that use intergrated graphics. These share the RAM, and as such, the higher the bandwidth on the graphics ram, the better the FPS. Noted, these speed gains are not super impressive either.

2700 WIll likely be supported longer than the 3200. The further you try to take a technology, the more expensive and time consuming it is to manage them.
chino
Grafter

What is good ram?

Thanks all for your help...

I am going to get 2700 when i get back (2*512)

cUnDaLl
N/A

What is good ram?

Hi i have exactly the same mobo as yourself (gigabyte 7VAXP) and the motherboard can take up to PC 3200 DDR RAM (which is 400MHz speed), however the bus speed of your motherboard is 333Mhz (i think, mine is :?) and youll find that you will get better performance with the 333MHz memory compared to the 400Mhz as you want to keep everything running at the same speed, if possible.

Hope this helps,

Dave
chino
Grafter

What is good ram?

thanks for that dave,

What cpu are u running?, i bought the motherboard months ago and i have just have done nothing with it (just running a 800 untill i save some money up).

Which type of ram are you running? And how much..?

Sorry for all the questions it's just a bit strange to meet somone with the same setup as yours is about to become..

Mark
N/A

What is good ram?

thanks for that dave,

What cpu are u running?, i bought the motherboard months ago and i have just have done nothing with it (just running a 800 untill i save some money up).

Which type of ram are you running? And how much..?

Sorry for all the questions it's just a bit strange to meet somone with the same setup as yours is about to become..

Mark

Im running an AMD Athlon 2600+ XP processor and 512MB of PC2700 (333Mhz) DDR RAM. It isnt a special make like Crucial or anything but its fast.

Hope this helps,

Dave
chino
Grafter

What is good ram?

Cheers for the info....

I am thinking of getting 2.8amd cpu and 2*512 sticks of pc2700 ram so hopfully it's fast....

Are you using raid? As i have never used Raid before and i bought this board to try it....

Thanks again for the info...

cUnDaLl