cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I need on my computer to protect it?

N/A

I was wondering what most anyone would recommend to have installed. I am working with windows xp, I have the following: Norton AntiVirus (which updates regularly from internet itself), Easy Cleaner, Ad-adware, and whatever firewall is installed with windows xp.

What I was wondering is what else would anyone recommend? I keep getting pop-ups and was wondering if I should have another firewall installed instead of present. If I did would I have to disable present settings on xp if so how and what firewall would anyone suggest as well as anything else? I know some come with pop-up blockers. Any good free downloads about?
6 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

The free Google toolbar blocks popups
holdtight
Grafter

First off i would install firefox browser this is more secure than IE and will deal with your pop ups

Ditch the XP firewall as its usable but too basic and go for a third party such as zonealarm or sygate both are free
i use sygate and would recommend it Cheesy other than that your system is ok, i also have spybot search and destroy which is also worth running once a week along with adaware which is also free

Just remember to keep everything up to date, i manually download my virus updates as they are issued more frequently than the auto update picks them up
N/A

Sygate for your firewall is deff the best bet Cheesy
Adaware and spybot to remove spyware
firefox to browse
thunderbird to read emails (even from Plusnet - thanks for the pop support!)

Buz
the_norris
Grafter

Don't for get you virus checker. I'm using AVG Free - http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

It Free and very good. Fine it has less system overhead that some of the payed for Virus checker. Also pattern updates are free.

Phil
N/A

and the microsoft anti spyware program!!
Community Veteran

Also read the following tutorial: General: Essential Security software.