cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can it be My pc wont start

N/A

I have just upraded my Sons PCwith a new mobo and memory but no I have put it all back together it wont work
IAll I can do is start it up with the power swich on the back and the fans start working , I cannot switch them of using the on off switch on the front,
When I test each peripheral ie. the cd rom lights up and will open and close until I connect it to the mobo then it just lights up but does not open The hard drive is working , I can hear it but nothing is showing on the monitor at all . I have a feelng it could be that the cpu has failed as I have checked all the wiring esp the front panel pwr switc, power led, hd led ect
I cannot switch thecase on and off it just remains on all the time
Can any one help , would this happen if the cpu failed
Please help
val
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Start by disconnecting everything so that you just have the Mobo with the CPU, Memory and graphics card on it.
You should then be able to switch it on and it will boot up telling you that it can find anything and giving you the option to enter the Bios settings.

If it still wont start at this stage then check that memory is the right type for the board and is seated properly.
Same for the graphics card is it the correct one for the board and again seated properly.

edit: Also reset the Bios so that its starting on the default settings. (reset link on the Mobo)

If everything is correct then try the cpu, memory and card back in the old board.
N/A

I had the exact same problem with one of my computers and it turned out to be the Power Supply Unit in the end, which shocked me a little. What wattage is your PSU? If you can, it might be worth swapping it with the PSU from another PC, which is what I did.
N/A

Thanks for advice , I did buy a new power supply as I had no idea that there were diferent types .
I went to try and buy a new processer anyway from pc world where I bought the mobo I needed a pentium 4 and was surprised to find that there are several different types of those too ( which wasnt mentioned when I was buying the mobo) I was told there was not a lot of difference apart from what I intended to use it for...........
they didn't mention that I needed a specific pentium 4 .. anyway They didnt have one in the store I tried other stores but had no luck In the end I bought a an amd processer and mobo so there couldnt be any errors, and tried to get a refund for the pentium mobo but was told I could'nt have one as I had opened the box ,It had some security tape sticking it closed and it tore the box a bit while opening
I will try again as I dont think it was my fault apart from being ignorant and they could have warned me when I bought it
Well thank you both for your help which I will print out and keep for future reference
Regards
Val