cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What TV card?

pimpernel
Grafter

What TV card?

Ideally want a PCI-E TV card with s-video, composite video, audio connectors. Must run on 64 bit Windows.
Found FlyTV Express X1 MST-STA2 here: http://www.lifeview.com.tw/html/products/internal_tv/flytv_express_x1_mst_sta2.htm
But where can I get one? And does it work in 64 bit?
Lifeview haven't bothered answered my query.
Are there any alternatives that can be bought in UK?
5 REPLIES
N/A

What TV card?

The latest Custom PC has a run down on some of the latest greatest TV cards. Might be worth picking up their magazine at your local ASDA etc.

Just taken a look at the mag and they are only reviewing one PCI-E Tv card and it doesnt have all the connectors you want, only aeriel in. That one is the Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT (Dual Tuners).

The other two that have been rated as the top of their groups are the Leadtek WinFast DTV1000T because of its very low price tag and MCE compatability. And the DVico Fusion HDTV Dual Tuners that is a low profile card. Unfortunately both of these are PCI cards.

There are 3 main things that seem to be selling TV cards

1. MCE Compatability
2. Dual Tuners
3. Low profile

This is obviously because they are superb for media centre setups. The best way to check if the card supports 64bit OS's is by looking at the manufacturers driver offerings, as there will be one for 32bit and one for 64bit.

Is there a reason behind requiring a PCI-E/64bit card? I am guessing that it is for future proofing purposes considing the arrival of Windows Vista?

-----

Taken a look at the drivers and they offer one stating in the .inf file:

; Copyright 2005, Animation Technologies Inc.

[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$" ;all windows os

So no, there is no 64bit dedicated support, it will run on a 64bit OS but will operate at 32bit.
N/A

What TV card?

Taken a look at the drivers and they offer one stating in the .inf file:

; Copyright 2005, Animation Technologies Inc.

[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$" ;all windows os

So no, there is no 64bit dedicated support, it will run on a 64bit OS but will operate at 32bit.

Actually it probably won't run at all, since 32bit drivers in WinXP x64 do not work, in any way shape or form, at all, much to my annoyance as it means I have to have a normal XP installation to access my digicam, amongst other things
N/A

What TV card?

Good point I completely forgot that the drivers dont work automatically lol

No idea how I forgot, after all it was the main reason I give up on any 64bit OS's.
pimpernel
Grafter

What TV card?

Thanks, all,
will try for copy of mag. In meanwhile have actually found card that nearly answers problem - Fusion HDTV DVB-T Dual Digital, but it's PCI not PCI-E and it's not cheap. http://www.theglowlounge.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/128_139/products_id/637?osCsid=9b1792f2d...
Reason for this combination is set-up of machine and usage of existing mobo slots.
There is a Nebula USB model as well which works in 64 bit: http://www.theglowlounge.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/128_129/products_id/453?osCsid=9b1792f2d...This is cheaper at least.
Still searching for the ideal card.
One day, perhaps?>
This is cheaper at ...

N/A

What TV card?

Hi again

If you look at my above post I mentioned the FusionHDTV, this is reviewed in the mag. It received 84% because and I quote "dependable and stable during testing", "it will fit in most chassis, even truly dinky ones such as the Hiper Media Centre" and "makes a great media PC, with or without Windows XP MCE".

It seems like a card that is worth its weight in gold due to its features, size etc. The price tag is high and its the only thing stopping this card from reaching 95%. But if you have the money then it would be a fantastic way to go.

From what little experience I have had with TV cards, USB TV devices and Windows MCE I would most definately prefer a PCI/PCI-E card over a USB device.

The features on a dedicated card over a USB device are sometimes monstrous, and the USB price is inflated due to its small size and the fact they are mainly aimed at laptop users or people who cannot go inside their PCs. Due to this they sometimes can be very limited compared to a card yet be exactly the same price.

Also I would have to say that if you plan on watching TV etc via a card or usb device, the software bundles are usually either very limited or problematic. I found Windows MCE to be so much easier to use, and much easier on the eye, plenty more features and generally just a hell of a lot better than most software bundled with these cards.

I purchased Windows MCE and an OEM card, after seeing the performance and how easy it was to use I dont think I would ever consider not using MCE for TV via a PC.