cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Laptop?

N/A

What Laptop?

Wasnt sure where to post this so posted this here.

What laptop would you reccommend. The manufacturer. Any particualr spec you look for in laptops that you wont in normal desktop PC.

I dont have no budget. Im after a quality laptop with quality after sales so require a good laptop

Any advice please
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What Laptop?

Moved to Computers and Hardware Smiley
N/A

What Laptop?

From a cost to quality and performance aspect, anything from the current Acer or Fujitsu Seimens range will provide excellent quality and value for money.

The FSC Amilo Pro range are super as are the Aspire and Travelmate Acer products.

Aspire is aimed at the home user whilst the Travelmate series is targetted towards the business user.

Depending on the retailer, warranties vary from 3 year collect and return to 1 year International Travel warranty.

Further details on models and spec from www.acer.co.uk or www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk

Should you have any queries on products from either manufacturer let me know. I'll do my best to answer any queries.

Happy hunting.
N/A

What Laptop?

the new alienware! Smiley (dual core amd Wink) of course it costs like 2 grand but still!
Community Veteran

What Laptop?

running gentoo? ;-)

Since we're talking about laptops; what would people reccomend for someone to learn there way around a PC surf the net via a wireless network and do some wordprocessing on?
N/A

What Laptop?

Any of the entry level models from the above manufacturers Dan.

I'll post back later with more detailed options.
N/A

What Laptop?

If you want one that offers everything a desktop has but with laptop portability go for a Dell XPS.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjMx

It will set you back a fair bit but its one of the only laptops than could rival desktop PCs for general use, gaming, upgradeability, and technical support etc.

If your looking for one to replace a desktop PC but dont need hardcore graphics go for as pcsni said a Fujitsu-Siemens, I have one of them here and its a lovely little machine to work with. It doesnt have much battery life though because its running on an AMD64 Desktop Mobile, if you want more battery life you would probably be better going with the latest Intel Mobile processor.
LiamM
Grafter

What Laptop?

I just purchased myself an Acer Ferrari laptop.

Tis 64-bit, with Windows x64 but features 1Gb DDR2 RAM, 100Gb HDD, DVD-RW and 128Mb Radeon X700 graphics. Plays all of my games without issue in full graphics / resolution.

Cost a fair bit though. Set me back £1400 with the 3 year Extended Warranty + Accidental Damage.
N/A

What Laptop?

It's pretty much impossible to make a sensible suggestion since you don't say what you want to use the machine for.

What's important to you? Outright performance? Size? Weight? Battery life? Price? Software?

Answering those questions myself led to an iBook. Your mileage may vary.

--> Stephen
N/A

What Laptop?

If you need one to keep at home.. almost any brick will do, however if it is portability and battery life, laptops are not all the same.

My daughter wanted a very light machine to take to university, so I bought her an IBM Thinkpad X31 with a tiny 12" screen that is only 1,7Kg including the battery.

It is no good to play games or to watch DVDs, but the exceptional battery life of over 5 hours ensures that the PSU is always left at home.
N/A

What Laptop?

I want kind of high spec not top range...a excellant battery life and it should be kind of fast cos ill be spend most of my day n n8 on the laptop n not my desktop at present so it will be heavily used.

Price im after around £600-£700

But also require good after sales service
N/A

What Laptop?

Iv just bought a HP NX 6110 for ]£440
1.4ghz, 256mb, wlan, xphome. The spec isn't great but the quality of build is excellent. It all depends what you are looking for in terms of use. I have my own pc company and I supply pc's and laptops. Email sales@pcs-4-u.co.uk for specs and prices.

Regards
James MacDonald
N/A

What Laptop?

I have had a Toshiba Satellite laptop for 2+ years and it has been fault free throughout. The only 'problem' now is that the battery is wearing out - probably because I have used it on the mains most of the time.

XP has performed well in that no rebuilds have been needed!

If I was to replace it, I would make sure it had firewire, USB2, an SD slot, wifi (g), IR and bluetooth 'onboard'. I would also go for light weight as 2-3kg is too much to lug around.

I would also recommend at least a 40G drive and 512M ram.
michaelscott
Grafter

What Laptop?

Iv just bought a HP NX 6110 for ]£440
1.4ghz, 256mb, wlan, xphome. The spec isn't great but the quality of build is excellent.

Agreed. I just bought the same machine. It isn't blisteringly fast, but it is more than capable of doing everything except games. The screen is great, speakers sound good and the machine feels solid as a rock with no flex in the case. The only problem with it is the lack of RAM. But £20 is enough to double it.
Community Veteran

What Laptop?

I don't know what HP laptops are like now; but with my Pavillion ZT1141s I have had nothing but trouble with the power supply (well actually not the power supply but the bit inside the laptop where it connects to). It went wrong about 2 years after I got the laptop and wouldn't charge even when the power was plugged in wriggling the lead about would provide a temporary repreive but not for long. We eventually got it fixed and the problem is now back.

The connection is right next to the fan and gets quite hot at times.

As such I would seriously consider my options if I was thinking about a HP laptop in future...