cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcams

Community Veteran

Webcams

Does anyone have experience of running a webcam under Linux?
I would like to set up a webcam on my Linux server.
I am basically looking to take a snap shot every few minutes for display on my web site.

I have looked at USB based webcams but drivers seam to be an issue.
The Linux I am running is a fork from RedHat 7.2.

The other option I have looked at is network webcams, but I am put off by the expense.
D-link DCS-900 £100
Linksys WVC54G £150

The other concern I have is that the CMOS sensors used in webcams can be damaged by direct sun light, and I indent to cover an outside area that would be in direct sun for most of the day.

Any comments or suggestion would be most appreciated.

Chilly
3 REPLIES
N/A

Webcams

update to fedora core, and the usb cam should work, there is some free ASP / php code to make it take a pic every few mins that you can use if you want.

buz
Community Veteran

Webcams

Buz

Is there any brand of webcam that you have got working under Fedora Core?

Unfortunately updating to Fedora would not be practical, as I am using a custom distribution for running a web / workgroup server.

I also have an idea to use an old video camera with a capture card, this may give improved performance for my application.

Chilly
N/A

Webcams

yea i got my creative PC-Cam to work under fedora and gentoo and suse Smiley (go me) but i faild in FreeBSD and OpenBSD (no surprise really)

have you thought of maybe updating to a different distro though? i mean u are running quite an outdated version now, and the later kernals do have some major upgrades in, such as better USB support Smiley