cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam and network help needed

TFC
Grafter

Sorry this is a bit of a long one... but I'm desperate for some help.

I am trying to get video and voice conversation working via Windows Messenger.

I have two systems....

1. My new Kustom system, P4 3.0, 1gig ram, 9800XT, Audigy2 ZS, Altec Lancing 251, XP Pro, Windows Messenger 4.7, Logitech Quickcam Messenger

2. Daughters system, Dell 8100, P4 1.5, 768 Meg ram, 9600XT, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Dell 2.1 speakers, XP Pro, Windows Messenger 4.7, Logitech Quickcam Messenger.

Both systems have been updated to the latest drivers etc.

The systems are linked via a Netgear DG834G (via ethernet cable to Comp 1 and via WG311 wireless pci adapter to Comp 2). Both Netgear products have the latest drivers.

There are separate accounts for Windows Messenger (Hotmail).

When I try to start a video/voice link Comp 1 will receive both video and voice from Comp 2. Comp 2 receives nothing, it only displays it's own small picture from the cam.

Having tried everything I could, I tried both systems out with a friend.

Comp 1 was able to receive both video and voice, but it appears did not transmit anything, as all they could receive was my typed messages.
Comp 2 worked perfectly both video and voice received and transmitted.

I have checked all settings and ensured that they are identical on both systems, both systems have Norton firewall behind the router, I have tried with it disabled, no difference.

There is obviously a problem with Comp 1, something is preventing the transmissions.... I am now banging my head on the wall.... any help very gratefully received.

Tom
11 REPLIES
N/A

Link

.........try this.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Display text added to link, as it was stretching the forums.]
Community Veteran

If I've read this correctly you are trying to get the 2 pcs on the same home network to talk to each other via windows messenger?
If so this means that the signals from one pc are going of down the internet to somewhere in the USA and then coming back down the internet to your network to the other PC. (both logged on with different passports)

Now for audio video to work properly through a router it needs to make use of uPnP which allows the operating system to talk to the router and set up the correct port forwarding.
I have this doubt that if the uPnP system is forwarding the audio video ports to one of the PC's then it will not be able to manage to do the same for the other one at the same time.

Have you tried them individualy to another user outside of you network?
If only one of them works then it proves that its settings on the one PC
If the both of them work than it proves my theory above. :?
N/A

And for video conferencing to work through NPF you have to follow instructions at above URL. Can you not just shout to each other?
TFC
Grafter

Thanks for your replies....

I have tried both systems individually with another user, Comp 1 does not send any audio or video, it does receive both. Comp 2 works perfectly.

Norton firewall has no effect, Comp 2 works perfectly wether Norton is active or not.

I have uPnP enabled on the router as well as on both XP systems.

I am only trying to get the comps to talk to each other as a way of testing them.

It definately seems to be the settings on Comp 1, problem is I cannot find what....

Tom
Community Veteran

Ok from what you have said it does indeed seem to be a problem with PC1.

You could try downloading and installing MSN messenger 6.2 to use on that PC and see if that works. I consider it to be far superior than windows messenger.

Hmm! thats a though, are the versions of windows messenger the same on both PC's as the earlier one did not support audio Video?
TFC
Grafter

johnessex,

I have tried MSN Messenger 6.1 on both systems, the result is exactly the same...

Both systems have the latest version of Windows Messenger - 4.7.xx

As I say comp 2 works perfectly so I cannot see a problem with the Messenger program... to me it seems as if the signals are being blocked or not switched correctly.... the firewall version and settings are identical on both systems and the router settings are common to both.
I have tried recording audio / video on both systems, works fine...
I think the only way to sort it is to find the path that the cam/mic and Messenger use for the video / audio stream and thereby find the incorrect setting...

I'm totally stumped as to where to go from here.

Tom
N/A

For the record - the latest version of Windows Messenger is 5.0.0482 Wink
TFC
Grafter

I have found messenger 5.0.xxx but for XP the latest update is still 4.7.xxx

Any advice... I don't think this will solve my problem though..
N/A

On my computer (XP) I have Windows Messenger 5.0.0482 (not MSN Messenger)
TFC
Grafter

Sorted,

The problem was with the LAN port... further process of elimination led to updating the LAN adapter drivers... it all works a treat.

Tom
Community Veteran

Thanks for letting us know the reason for the problem Smiley
It's always good to share knowledge and this is what these forums are all about Cool