cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam and Router Setup

N/A

Webcam and Router Setup

I have 4 different webcams on my home network, all with different ip addressasigned by DHCP Netgear DG834 router. This works fine interanlly browsing the cameras and recording them for security and set up.
I have a few problems
Firstly I cannot get any of the cameras to upload single frames to plus net ftp, althought all settings are correct and port 21 is open on router( I can upload to ftp via pc)
I have allocated a sinlge port to a camera ip address ( i.e. port 80) and can browse this from the ouside world.
I have tried to allocate other ports to the other cameras i.e 8010, 8020 and 8030 but these seem to crash the camera, are these ports ok to use? or is there a list of port I can you?
If someone could explain this a little more I would be most grateful.
I also have tried to name my ip address in DNS setup on plus net.
Do I need a domain name server at the ip address?

Lots of questions I know.
I have a little experince with networks and feel just need a little explaination or pointing in the right direction to learn more.

Thanks
4 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

Webcam and Router Setup

Hi I'll try to answer a few questions here

Firstly what make/model are these cameras? May be someone here as used them.

Now not sure on yuor router model - but I have a Solwise SAR110. With this router I can forward and transulate ports at the same time. And I would setup something like this:

Internet IP - port 80 -----> Camera1 internal IP Port 80
Internet IP - port 8010 -----> Camera2 internal IP Port 80 etc

Not sure if your router can do this. If you can't do this make and can only forward port used on the internet to the same internally - make sure you configure the cameras to use that port - Eg from above example - Camera2 will need to be changed to use port 8010.

DNS
Have you got a domain name -other that your username.plus.com?

Phil
N/A

Webcam and Router Setup

The cameras are axis 2100

I can forward ports on router,

What ports can I use or are availiable for use.

The cameras ask for a DNS for which I use plus nets but on the camera log file its says dns fails?

I do have my own domain www.thursby.uk.com

Thanks for your help will try this later
the_norris
Grafter

Webcam and Router Setup

Hi

When you configured the camera did you put in the efault route/gateway IP - this will be yuor router internal IP - Eg 198.168.0.1 etc If you don't it can find a route out to the internet to talk to PlusNet DNS server. If it can't do this then name lookups fail - may be way you can't upload via FTP from them.

Phil
N/A

Webcam and Router Setup

I am sure I have put the correct default router ip address in will check thanks