cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam Specs

N/A

Webcam Specs

After a long battle with a Pinnacle PCTV card,and a video camera as a webcam,I have decided to give up the struggle and buy a webcam.Any suggestions as to who makes the best as far as definition and frame rate are concerned would be appreciated.I have looked at Logitech and they seem to be quite good,but can the microphone in them be disabled? I was also wondering if there are brands that maybe on the outside of the "mainstream",but do an excellent job in terms of the definition and frame rates etc.

Ian & linda Jordan
5 REPLIES
N/A

Webcam Specs

For the best framerates, size and clarity, the only method is to go for a PCI video cardture card that is WDM compatible (windows driver model).

USB is too slow to handle very good rates of data, and if you have other USB devices, then you are limited even more.

I don't know if there are any USB2 cameras out there yet, as these will provide better rates.

Some video cameras have firewire and come with WDM drivers, though not many (it't cheaper for them to just stick with normal firewire video transfer).

Then again, there are the +Net webcams, these are Axis based cameras. These are not WDM compatable, but very good never the less.

As noted, video capture cards are the only propper method. I will admit, I have found the trouble with Pinacle products in the past.

After this, I replaced them with Hauppauge products. See THIS product as a good idea for use with a video camera as a webcam.
N/A

Webcam Specs

Thanks Acarr

I must admit the card is my prefered option,but my experience with the "Pinnacle" had sort of turned me off them to a certain extent.I had alook at that link you posted,and was quite suprised how relativly reasonbly priced they were,but had difficulty trying to find which ones had composite video input.Any ideas on that one? But am going into my nearest city on Friday so will see if anyone sells that range,and have a hands on look.

Thanks again

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

Webcam Specs

On the first item on the page, look at the second set of bullet points. The second item down reads

Composite/s-video input to connect to VCR or camcorders
Community Veteran

Webcam Specs

Btw, should you decide to go the webcam route, if you want good quality get a webcam with a CCD as opposed to a CMOS sensor. DSLRs aside, CMOS sensors tend to yield poor images in comparison with CCDs.

Thomas
N/A

Webcam Specs

On the first item on the page, look at the second set of bullet points. The second item down reads

Composite/s-video input to connect to VCR or camcorders

Actually missed it there but found out when doing a web search to get an idea of prices.

Ian & Linda Jordan