cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Remote Desktop

N/A

Web Remote Desktop

Hi there,

Having a bit of difficulty that I hope someone can help me with.

I have setup my home XP pro machine to allow remote desktop web access as per instructions found on the Microsoft site. Just so there's no confusion:

1. Remote Desktop is enabled and accounts are in place.
2. I am not using the default port to help with security. Port 3389 is open.
3. I have tested the web interface internally and it works.
4. I have forwarded the relevant ports on my router to the machine I want to connect to.
5. My Firewall is set to accept traffic coming through the relevant ports.

So, I thought everything would be fine but I gave it a try from work and I get to the TSWEB screen, hit connect (I have tried putting my local IP and external IP in the server box as well as leaving it blank, which is the instructions given by Microsoft) and get the following message:

VBScript: Remote Desktop Disconnected
The client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connections might not be enabled or the computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It is also possible that network problems are preventing your connection. Please try connecting again later. If the problem continues to occur, please contact your administrator.

I'm a bit stuck so any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Web Remote Desktop

Do you have a software firewall on the machine your trying to connect to? as this could be blocking it?
(bearing in mind your local network might be classed as a trusted network, hence why it doesn't get rejected)

Does your work firewall block any of the ports your trying to use?

Aaron
N/A

Web Remote Desktop

have you tried the actual remote desktop client?

start - > run -> mstsc -> hit enter

are you sure you opened both TCP and UDP port 3389?
N/A

Web Remote Desktop

Does your work firewall block any of the ports your trying to use?

I set my firewall to accept the traffic so that should not be a problem. Just to be sure, I checked to see if there was any blocked traffic and there wasn't.

have you tried the actual remote desktop client?

start - > run -> mstsc -> hit enter

Just to check some details I am not clear on:

1. Using the Remote Desktop client in my workplace would require the systems admin to open up access through specific ports to allow specific traffic?

2. Using the web Remote Desktop means this is not neccessary?

are you sure you opened both TCP and UDP port 3389?

The tutorial I followed does not specify UDP, only TCP. I will change my settings and try again.
N/A

Web Remote Desktop

it needs both TCP and UDP at your home (or where ever you are runnng the server from)

also the WEB connection needs them open as well as it connects to 3389 (TCP)

you can however change the port number of the server, so you could easily run it on port 80 / 21 / 23 / any other well known port

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer\WinStations\RDP-Tcp\PortNumber
N/A

Web Remote Desktop

I have now tested my connection from a seperate dialup and could log in fine so it would seem that the port is blocked. I will give your suggestion a try.
N/A

Web Remote Desktop

you can however change the port number of the server, so you could easily run it on port 80 / 21 / 23 / any other well known port

I gave this a go when I got home but found that I could not locally connect. Does the client have to be changed as well?
N/A

Web Remote Desktop

if your ip was 1.1.1.1 and ur port u were running the server on was 21

you would now have to do

1.1.1.1:21 (note the colon)

Buz