cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted: Toshiba Laptop SPM 30 Recovery Disks

N/A

Hi: I have a Toshiba SPM30 laptop on which I had installed a Linux partition alongside the supplied Windows XP. This machine is my 'travelling' laptop and I also run a Satellite 6000 as my 'admin' system. I've had a series of issues over the past week which led to my losing both machines. The 6000 hard drive passed away and in an attempt to delete the Linux partition from the SPM30, I managed to render the boot sector u/s. I've determined that I need to reinstall the original software from the recovery disks - unfortunately, I can't find 'em.

I have recovery disks for my 6000, which has a new drive and is now working ok-ish. I have recovery disks for my wife's 4300 - the SPM30 disks are nowhere to be found.

Toshiba won't provide another set - even for money - since I'm a few months past the warranty period.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a relevant set of disks, for which I am prepared to pay actual money?

Cheers,

Jeremy
6 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

You could load XP from one of your other recovery disk sets (probably). Windows activation usually works if it's longer than 90 (?) days since the copy of Windows in question was last activated. This is, of course, technically in breach of your Windows licence, but as you have a licence for a copy of XP that you're not actually using.......

Drivers for various bits of hardware on your computer may be more problematical, but you can probably find out what is required and get them off the net.

Change over to Linux?

Regards,

Neil
N/A

Thanks, Neil - I'm probably going to have to do that in due course. I have a feeling I'm going to be messing around with bootable floppies for a short while first - the 6000 recovery disks were rejected by the SPM and I'll have to figure a workaround.

Sigh ... lessons learnt Sad
N/A

Problem solved, using a utility that I found here:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

... and now, I'm about to make a donation, since I didn't have to buy another XP installation package and spend more hours getting relevant drivers.

Toshiba Support were about as useful as, er, the proverbial chocolate teapot and I took some pleasure in expressing those views in their 'Satisfaction Survey' follow-up phone call.

It might have been childish but I felt a lot better after the call ... and that was before I got my problem fixed.
Njal
Grafter

Well done! Interesting utility, duly bookmarked.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

Indeed, and for free - well worth a donation. Now, all I have left to do is to figure out how to recreate a Windows/DOS partition where Linux used to be.
Njal
Grafter

Ranish partition manager is said to be good, no persoanl experience though!

http://www.ranish.com/part/

I used a replacement for fdisk last time I had a problem like this. I can't find it now, it's probably on my home PC.

Regards,

Neil