cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wanted: Nice patient person to teach Linux to an idiot :o)

N/A

Good evening.
It's been a long time coming but I'va taken the step to install Linus (SuSe 5.3) on one of my machines. I realise now it's an older version than the latest one but I have, blindly it has to be said, stumbled my way through the installedtion -0 only utilising 3 of the 5 available CDs.
I've set a password for the root, and made another user. Installed a few utilities that do various things, sadly my ignorance is showing and I can't remember what.
Logged in and that worked, for me something of a small miracle.
Now I'm kind of stuck. I have two CDS I'm not sure what to do with and an operating system which I can't operate.
Are there any resources out there for people like myself who have only had a glimpse at Linux? Ideally I'd like to speak to someone who has sympathy as well as knowledge Smiley
I'm a bit of a Microsoft know it all so the primciples maybe are there, but I need a guiding light.
Any useful infor would be much appreciated.
Cheers
PB
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I know this probably isn't the kind of adive you're looking for, but let me just say this: I've learnt everything I know about computers (a fair bit!) by just experimenting and trying things out. Smiley

Thomas
N/A

I've found www.Linux-Questions.org to be a very good resource. It has loads of little questions like "how do I change my password" and those sort of things, as well as highly advanced questions.
N/A

Since it's on my plus.net domain I feel OK about posting: http://www.nryonline.co.uk is where I've stuck most of my Linux documentation that covers what I've done at home and at work with Linux, usually Red Hat version 8 or 9. has stuff about webserving, caching, firewalls, e-mail servers etc etc. Should be a good starting place?

Otherwise, try:

www.justlinux.com
www.google.co.uk/linux (superb)

Regards,

nry
N/A

Cheers,
I have, over the last few days, obtained a copy of Mandrake 9.1 (if memory serves) and installed it on my now ageing Cmopaw laptop. had to do a text install twice as the first time the GUI screen came on, and then nothing, which screwed the whole lot despite some recoveries.
Installed it again and this time opted to downplay the speed and memory of the video chipset.
This worked....but sadly at 730am this morning, after checking all my settings, it went to the GUI (I selected KDE - although I stil have to real idea what is going on but it was set as 'default'. - nothing...a little watch, lots of HDD activity.....had to go to work.....
I asked someone to check it a couple of hours later and the watch was still there..so I;m guessing the good ship Penguin has sunk. I have no idea why and may try another type of installation, as trial and error are my only experience Smiley
Any useful hints not involving upgrading of machine of use of ikitchen impliments would be appreciated, although this post is more to release the feeling of peeing in the wind more than anything else.
Cheers
PB
N/A

Try this board for your Mandrake problems - www.mandrakeusers.org.

There are lots of helpful, friendly people there, and they welcome newbies! Smiley
N/A

I'll try that.
I've tried, with no hope, to install and configure two PCMCIA cards to run (a) ADSL router and (b) network but they both won't work. eth0 worked last night but tonight eth0 and eth1 didn't.
I can't figure out how to sort it and the help....well.....isn't Sad
So, I've put the penguin to bed and will hope for divine intervention Smiley

Kebab ordered......woohoo
P
N/A

Hi happycat!

Did you get any help with Linux?

I haven't seen you at www.mandrakeusers.org, at least not as happycat...Smiley

Steve
Ianwild
Grafter

Personally, I don't think you can learn Linux without a good book. There are literally hundreds of books on the subject of newbie's to Linux and I think they all have their merits so I won't recommend one. The beauty of computer books in this regard is that there are lots of second hand and out of general print books which for most purposes are still up to date and relevant and will only set you back a few quid from your local discount books store.

Ian
N/A

The usual recommendations seem to be Linux in a Nutshell and Running Linux.

Unless they're very lucky, newbies (like me) also need help with their hardware and distro-specific problems. That's where the community comes in. Mandrake users provide a lot of support, which is why I changed from Red Hat. Smiley