cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want easy login to wireless iBook with 128 bit encryption

N/A

I have just got broadband and set up the DG834g router without much trouble. I have a G4 connected by ethernet to the router. Having followed all the advice for secure wireless use, I set up wireless access to just the MAC address of the iBook. I set up 128 encryption - not that I have state secrets - I shall want to order stuff over the internet from the iBook.

Now when I want to go wireless on the iBook it comes up with no default listing of the router network and I have to put in the 28 digit password with no option to remember it. I have problems with tel numbers so a 28 digit number has to be kept to hand which defeats the purpose a bit. Is there an easy way to have all the security but an easy log in?? I have read the manuals but can't find an option or don't understand it!.

Thanks in advance for any help
Cheesy
1 REPLY
N/A

I managed to work out a solution myself. If anyone else out there is a Mac user they might find it useful.

Go into the wireless setup for the router (Netgear in my case but I assume all similar) and check the box for Allow broadcast of name (SSID). It is a little less secure but gets rid of the log in of 28 letters/numbers. The setup is set for access only to the iBook MAC address and data is encrypted so it should be ok.