cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDOWS Remote Access

N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Apologies if this is the wrong forum.

Can anyone help me or point me in the direction of a How To document to enable remote access of my office computer from home.

The office computer is running WINDOWS XP/Pro and is connected to a Solwise ADSL Modem router. I have a static IP. I have enabled remote desktop.

The home computers are one runnign Windows 98 and the other running Windows XP/Home. How do I configure port forwarding so that accessing my office IP address lets me see the remote desktop and what should I do on the home computer to make it work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
16 REPLIES
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

first of you need

TCP 3389
UDP 3389

forwarded to the internal ip of your office box.. then : windows + Pause -> remote ->> "tick allow remote desktop"

now as ur using an old client at home i dont know if you have the client on the windows 98 box so you will have to download it from microsoft (its free)

and on the XP home box : Windows + r -> mstsc -> type in ur works ip -> hit connect and you shout get a winodw pop up with the login for ur work Smiley

Buz
wheelnut
Grafter

WINDOWS Remote Access

..... alternatively download RealVNC and install client and server apps on appropriate machines. It gets round all the windows security faff and is open source.

I reckon it runs smoother over low bandwidth links than windows desktop.

http://www.realvnc.com/download.html
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

*cough* insecure *cough* Smiley
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Thanks Buz - worked perfectly (if painfully slow!)

Will try it with the WIndows 98 machine at some point.

M
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Thanks to all who replied; I have now been using Remote Desktop very happily for over 6 months.

My next question is whether I can do this with one static IP to my office router but access two (or more computers) in my office.

The current setup has TCP 3389 and UDP 3389 on the office router pointing to the internal ip of my office computer. Is there any way I can set up it so that I can also use remote desktop to another conputer with a different internal ip?

Many thanks

Mark
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

you are port forwarding to one pc and cant do it to a second pc as you can only forward the ports once. You can logon to pc one via remote desktop and then on that pc use VNC or simliar to connect to pc two. There is not a lot of point as you can acces its drive over the network anyway so the only advantage is to run some software not on pc one
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Changing the RDP port - Just change it on one of the PC's to 3388 or something.
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Although RDP is good, you would probably be better with something like tightvnc
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Believe it or not, RDP is nearly always better than VNC, I have yet to use any VNC software that is more efficient. TightVNC is good if you don't have the ability to use RDP, but if you can use it, you definately should.
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Yeah i know what you mean! It is a quite bit faster to use!
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Changing the RDP port - Just change it on one of the PC's to 3388 or something.

So i can use rdp with the default 3389 port to computer A and ALSO use rdp with, say 3388 to computer B?
So on office computer i would have
3389 tcp -> xxx.xxx.xxx.2
3389 udp -> xxx.xxx.xxx.2
and
3388 tcp -> xxx.xxx.xxx.3
3388 udp -> xxx.xxx.xxx.3

How do i tell RDP that i want to login to computer B (through port 338Cool?

Mark
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

Just type your WAN IP with the port at the end: e.g. 84.69.58.47:3388.
It could be a :: instead of :, one works though Cheesy

Leaving the port off the end will connect to the computer that has the default RDP port set (3389)
mssystems
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

WINDOWS Remote Access

Agree with the others. VNC is fine on a LAN but horribly slow across a WAN. I use it to access some NT boxes or to get a console login on Win2K but that is about it.

My next question is whether I can do this with one static IP to my office router but access two (or more computers) in my office.

Now might be the time for a VPN.
N/A

WINDOWS Remote Access

^^^ Or go with the change of port's per PC.