cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

N/A

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

Is it possible to wireless network a XP TO XP computer whilst also networking a win 98 pc off the same network. I was wondering if I could use a cable connection for the xp to 98 side
Is this possible or would I need to put the 98 pc through the wireless system?
Gary
7 REPLIES
N/A

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

You can network windows xp, windows 2k,windows me, windows nt, windows pe, windows 98, windows 95, linux,os/2 and uncle tom cobbley and all.

There is no problems with any of them and you dont need wireless unless you want it. You can wireless all of them if needed assuming you have the drivers.
N/A

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

thanks for that ,quite happy about the general issue of networking but the main question is can I mix wirless xp to xp whilst running a cable connection from my main xp pc tp the 98 pc in the same room?
Gary
N/A

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

Not sure if I am reading this right,I am getting the idea that you like to connect via the wireless Lan adapter cards directly between the PC's. Although I'm not expert on Wireless I don't think this will work.

What you need if a Wireless enabled router, work wirelessly to the 2 XP PC's and RJ45 cabled to the Win 98 PC. All 3 PC's will be connected together on the same network, if you get a router that has an inbuilt ADSL modem then they will all share the same internet connection.

Jeff
N/A

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

Sorry for the confusion. I will elaborate. I intend connecting my xp pc with my sons xp pc via wireless connection, I am happy with that. My question is can I then use a cheap cable connection to go to my old win 98 pc which sits in the same room as my newer xp pc?
I am not sure if I can run the things side by side or if I need to spend a little more to make the win 98 pc connect to my wireless network. Hope that makes sense to you,
Gary
N/A

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

Again, the question has to be asked, is this a wireless router/switch you intend using to connect your PC to your sons ??
If so, just make sure the wireless router/switch/hub also supports standard ethernet connections, most do. Then you can hardwire your PC and the other PC in the room to the router/switch and use a wireless connection to your sons.

Wireless NIC to wireless NIC does not work, if you were simply thinking of putting a wireless network card in yours and your sons, it has to got through a router or switch.
N/A

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

Thanks for that it is the answer I was after sorry for the confusion I may have caused.
thanks to all for your help
Gary
Community Veteran

WINDOWS 98-xp NETWORK

Get yourself a 4 port ADSL modem./router/wireless like the Netgear DG834G. This has a wireless capability as well as 4 port switch.

Plug your WinXP PC and your local Win98 PC via Ethernet cable to the router. (both PCs may need a PCI network card if they don't already have a Ethernet port)

Buy a wireless PCI card or USB wireless device for your sons WinXP PC. This will communicate with the wireless router.

All 3 PCs will them be able to communicate with each other (if you permit it) and all 3 can share the ADSL line connected to the router.