cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voyager USB Modem 105 Not working With USB 2

N/A

Hi I need your help in resolving a problem.

My computer is an Athlon 1600 clock speed with 750mg Ram it is an Evesham about 4 years old with USB 1.1

Some months ago I installed a USB 2.0 card with 4 USB slots in the rear of my computer. As far as I know this card works simply because I use an external hard drive with it and which is plugged into one of the slots

On the front of the computer are two additional USB slots which are still USB 1.1 and into which is plugged my Voyager 105 modem. In this slot the modem works fine.

However when I remove the plug and put it into any one of the 4 rear USB 2 slots, it will not work. I get the red arrows in the system tray. In addition if I look in device manager under network connections the 1394 adapter nothing is shown.

If I replug the modem into the front USB 1.1 slot the system tray arrows turns green and the modem shows under the 1394 adapter and works OK.

This modem works perfectly OK in any of the USB 2 slots on my laptop computer

Can anyone explain why this modem will not work with the USB 2 card or what I action I can take to get it working in these slots

Thank you

Terry
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

First 1394 is not USB, that is a separate firewire interface.

Under device manager you need to select View -> devices by connection then find the USB controllers under which you will find any attached devices.

DIsconnect all USB devices and then deleting all your USB devices under device manager (assuming you don't have a USB mouse/keyboard, in which case leave that one alone) and reboot. This will reinstall the drivers and may solve the problem.
N/A

Thanks for your reply. Before I do what you have suggested (I am somewhat of a novice here) the Voyager 105 is not listed under USB controllers but under Network Adapters. Does this make a difference?

When the red arrows show in the system tray and I put my cursor over it it shows no DSL

In Device manager everything under USB controllers is working
As follows:

VIA Enhanced USB Controller OK

3X USB Root Hubs OK

However, there are 5 Via Rev 5 or Later Universal Host controllers 2 of which are OK and three which do not have drivers installed. Are these the original three replaced by the USB 2 board with 4 USB slots

In any event from what I have written here is it still OK to carry out your proposed actions?

Thanks

Terry
holdtight
Grafter

Yes !
as Peter says uninstall them all and reboot unless you have a USB mouse or keyboard in which case leave them in place
N/A

When you say delete all USB devices do you mean, Modem, keyboard, mouse etc OR

Do you mean anything under Universal serial bus controllers, USB Root Hub, Via USB Enhanced Host Controller and Via rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

Thanks sorry to be a dimwit but I got to get this right

Terry
holdtight
Grafter

In device manager open up Universal serial bus controllers and right click on every instance of USB root hub and uninstall not forgeting to unplug any USB device you may have plugged in

The USB root hubs are all the onboard USB ports there will be a warning box come up telling you your about to uninstall it and are you sure so just ok it after each one then reboot
N/A

Finally did it! and it worked thanks to all who contributed. Have had a sound lesson in "how to"

Thank you

Terry
holdtight
Grafter

No worries glad your now sorted

Bill.