cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Studio & DirectX

jabb0
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

Been at this all bloomin day and its still not working.

Its givin me error msgs in the debug window, but they are long and for the best part non-sinsicle, so il not post em till i find someone who can understand em, otherwise id be wasting all our time.

So if there are any Visual Studio Guru's out there i could avail of your assistance plz

Cheers
10 REPLIES
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

Wouldn't call myself a 'Guru' by any stretch, but I use VS and would be glad to offer assistance if thats any help?. If not, try the Microsoft newsgroups:

news://msnews.microsoft.com
jabb0
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

Nice one,

Im a noob, i got VS2003 for free cos my uni has some kinda alliance with MS.

Now i am working on a game written C++ which makes use of directX.
I have had bother all day tryin to set this up at home, i have downloaded the directx SDK and linked all the required libs via tools and project properties.

I Get
1 error
LINK : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification

and 19 warnings much like this
main.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol _D3DXLoadMeshFromX@28 referenced in function "public: long __thiscall CZenMesh::LoadXFile(char *)" (?LoadXFile@CZenMesh@@QAEJPAD@Z)
(i can give em all if ya want)

before when it complained about missing libs and not finding this that and the other i could handle, now this i cant even understand.

wot ya think?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

jabb0
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

nice one,

I am understanding a bit better now, but still not got much of a clue...
In the msg
LINK : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification
i can find where /INCREMENTAL:NO, but if i change this it goes even madder.
So i am thinking that finding and modifying /EDITANDCONTINUE is my best bet.
Its not in Linker properties, would you know where to look?

Do you think i am on the right track, at all?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

I think you're on the right track, but cannot guide you as to where it is as I do not use C++ myself.

Did you see this? (bottom of the article)

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/958x11bc.aspx
jabb0
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

Thanks a million for the help mate.
I am not quite there yet, but i know alot more than i did a few hours ago.

I think the problem is that i am using code developed on VS98, and when i load it at home VS2003 is somehow alot more strict... OR... there is an option to turn this strictness off on both 98 & 2003 and i just dont know where it is.

Again thanks much apreciated
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

My pleasure Smiley
jabb0
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

heya,

ive managed to get the thing to the very brink of actually working.

im getting this error
Chapter 6 Example 2 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall cMusicChannel::cMusicChannel(void)" (??0cMusicChannel@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function _$E8

There were other sound errors, but i decided to be bad and just remove the sound from the project, not the best solution but if it works it will do.

The thing is all the other errors like this gave a sensicle function for me to go find, this one has me stumped, it has to be in the code somewhere, but i cant find it. I didnt write all the code, we have to modify our lectuures code - im gonna ask him but it will be a while b4 i see him again ya think u can help me out?
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

From what I can gather, the error is caused by a missing library and/or something to do with the library and a missing /arm flag (no idea what this is for unfortunately).

If I had to guess, I'd have to suggest one of the libraries specified in the class "cMusicChannel" is not referenced or not linked.
jabb0
Grafter

Visual Studio & DirectX

I got it working before i left for uni this morn - there is something real messed up about sound on my machine, which is fine on the uni compo's.

As opposed to spending any more time on sussin that out, i decided just to comment out the lines of code that had anything to do with sound, pretty lame solution but we aint workin with sound or anything, its more on the AI and stuff, you know like coding algorithms and the like - it all sounds very grand but basically its just good old problem solving, something which uni hasnt given us in a while now.

Ill uncomment the sound stuff when im finished, and it will play music and stuff when i take into the uni machines to demo it.

I now i said thanks before, but when i got this going this morning i really felt like i had been touched by the hand of god or something man, it was like a miricale. Im sayin thanks again, cos not only can i now work at home instead of tryin to concentrate in a lab of 60 ppl/machines makin noise, but you have also helped to save me endless miles in travelling to and fro. Which means more development time and a little less pressure.

Buy that man a pint!!!! Wink
Woohoo!!!