cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista

N/A

Vista

hello all
Hope someone around here will be able to help me with a small problem called vista.
OK installed the thing on the laptop. dont think I did it how i should have but it works , well sort of.
I seem to have two vista's on the laptop and so how do i get shot of onbe of them.
Also the digi tv part of laptop is not working HP the makers have emailed me to say do a complete recovery any idea how i do this in vista
thick i know but its new
and do i need to keep the old xp on the hard drive seem to have two of them also
4 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Vista

1. I seem to have two vista's on the laptop and so how do i get shot of onbe of them.
2. Also the digi tv part of laptop is not working HP the makers have emailed me to say do a complete recovery any idea how i do this in vista
3. do i need to keep the old xp on the hard drive seem to have two of them also

I have numbered your questions above and will attempt to answer them sequentially-
1) If you want to uninstall a copy of Microsoft Windows Vista then you will need to wipe that area of the hard disc drive or replace it with another operating system. This may well break your system start up so really should only be attempted by someone who knows what they are doing. This tutorial may be of some help. I am sceptical that you could have multiple copies of both your Operating Systems installed on the same computer- how do you know that two copies are installed? Please don't take any action until you've answered this question.
2) I have included links to Microsoft's What is System Restore article and a good Softpedia article on the subject. Have you tried running Windows Update and checking the HP website to see if you've got the most up to date drivers for your TV card? I'd personally try both of those before re-installing from scratch.
3) In terms of needing Windows XP, as long as you have enough disc space to do so, I'd be strongly tempted to keep it installed on your machine. Windows Vista includes a boot manager that allows both to operate on the same computer, you simply select the version you wish to use on boot. As I said in the other post there will be both hardware and software compatability problems for at least the next six months or so, so it's worth having a second system you can fall back to in case of problems.
N/A

Vista

Doing a restore is a lazy help desk work around. It means they dont know how to fix it and the catch all is system restore. It also mean the help desk man gets rid of the call and someone else's gets it instead.

You say you have 2 vistas have you actually got to or a menu showing vista twice?

What is wrong with the tv?
rodmc
Grafter

Vista

Doing a restore is a lazy help desk work around. It means they dont know how to fix it and the catch all is system restore. It also mean the help desk man gets rid of the call and someone else's gets it instead.

indeed, and I would add the system restore brings back old problems as well, something that they never really thought about when designing the software.
N/A

Vista

So do a non destructive repair (not using repair console) it just fixes windows and does'nt mean loosing all your data like a fresh install would....