cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista slow with memory pen drive

Brickinit
Grafter

a friend has a new laptop running vista, i picked up a Kinston 1 Gb pen drive so that they can transfer data from one location to another, the drive works fine in his old laptop running XP but very slow in the Vista one. not knowing much about Vista i seem to recall reading somewhere that Vista can use pen drives as extra ram to speed things up if this is the case would Vista be using the pen drive by default and if so can this be turned off? or is there another reason for the pen drive running slow in Vista?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

This is a new feature that Microsoft has included with Vista.

See Google

Chilly
holdtight
Grafter

Its a known problem that your average pen drive is just simply not fast enough to cope with this feature of vista

There are only a handful of manufacturers that are making them with the read and write speeds vista needs to utilise this feature although there are many pen drives out there that claim to be vista compatible

You need to do a search for readyboost pen drives and only buy from a reputable company such as crucial or kingston etc to be sure you get a good enough drive

As to whether it can be turned off ive no idea as i dont use vista but im sure someone here will know

Bill.
N/A

Vista has to reformat the pen to use it so its not using it by default. Vista just seems slow at doing anything to me as with all new O/S there is so much going on in the background. Have you got it in a usb2 port?
Community Veteran

Where any of the Google links about the slow copy issue any use?

Chilly
Brickinit
Grafter

to Chilly, thanks the google links explained a lot to me and let me know that it might advisable to disable indexing.

to MWRIGHT it's definitly a USB2 drive and is plugged into a USB2 port.

to Holdtight that is why i went with the Kingston didn't realise that it needs a different standard for Vista.

it looks like it could be a long learning curve with Vista, think i will leave it for a while until i upgrade my own machine to Vista, give people a chance to find the work arounds. there appears to be a hotfix for this problem but not on general release.it seems you have to request it for what ever reason.