cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista is coming. x64 bit or not

N/A

I have a 64 bit intel core2 duo processor in my PC.
When Vista comes out should I buy the 64bit version or the 32bit version?
Your expert advice would be most appreciated by me and probably others
thanks
It should be in the shops any day now.
11 REPLIES
N/A

There isnt much sense having 64 bit cpu and running a 32 bit o/s. As all Vista is new and may have bugs then there would be know advantage in using a 32 bit.

There is a very big advantage to having the 64 bit apart from the fact that it will make use of all your cpu. The 64 bit wont let people into the kernal so its very well protected. Normally things like Av and some virus/adaware tap into the actual kernal but they cant with the 64 bit.

A good and bad thing is that it wont let you have untested drivers which make sit more stable but could be a pain if you cant get the right driver
N/A

thanks for reply. I did try 64bit windowsXP but there were no drivers for some of my hardware and some of my software would not work either.
I have been trying Vista RC1 x64bit and there are not a lot of drivers for that yet also some software programs dont always install so I cant use the compatability gizmo. I am hoping that eventually and in the not too distant future that 64 bit operating systems will become the norm.
shellsong
Grafter

I would suggest 64bit Linux rather than the expensive, obese, resource hogging, DRM and Activation issue laden heap that is Vista except that 64bit Linux drivers are even less available from anally retentive hardware manufacturers even though there are major efforts by programmers to produce Open Source drivers to do the same job!
N/A

shellsong you do realise that linux eats as many resources as windows does when used as a desktop with the functionality that windows offers out of the box, if you cut these down, it can use even less - the difference is in windows you can actively monitor this stuff correctly, where as in linux you are stuck with Top etc (pritty useless compared to the task manager in windows)

Also : Linux with all the "pritty" gui stuff a la OSX uses MORE than vistas go at it.

oh and Vista out of the box is MORE (shock) secure than a linux distro out of the box -- and with more functionality built in.

so *Shrug* use linux : get no support, no drivers, spend hours fixing silly little bugs

use windows : good,fast,works,easy to maintain, support and all the drivers you ever need. (oh and plug and play actually works unlike linux)

oh and you also get to use Office - yay.

Vista has some awesome new things in it which linux should quickly adopt as they are rather spangly, be it the new networking stacks that allow for easier administration on a network, or the new random memory addressing which stops over 2/3s of the buffer overflows etc...

Use the 64 bit version, lots of companies are now making drivers for it in vista -- XP64 was only really made for a few developers that needed the extra word space,vista 64 is meant for the main stream.
Community Veteran

Driver availability is always the problem when a new OS is released and Vista is no different and in some cases much worse.

Win XP64 has been out for some time now yet even some of the major manufacturers still don't have 64bit drivers for their common hardware and software so expect even longer delays for a vista version.

Vista is still far too young to be useful in my mind, even more so the 64bit version.
shellsong
Grafter

shellsong you do realise that linux eats as many resources as windows does when used as a desktop with the functionality that windows offers out of the box, if you cut these down, it can use even less - the difference is in windows you can actively monitor this stuff correctly, where as in linux you are stuck with Top etc (pritty useless compared to the task manager in windows)

Also : Linux with all the "pritty" gui stuff a la OSX uses MORE than vistas go at it.

oh and Vista out of the box is MORE (shock) secure than a linux distro out of the box -- and with more functionality built in.

Amazingly untrue on all counts-- where do you get your info from? :lol:
pacem
Grafter

@ shellsong:

Please don't feed the trolls, no matter how entertaining their post is.

Paul.<><
shellsong
Grafter

But someone might believe him! :lol:
N/A

directly from the boxen i run linux on...

*shrug*

linux has its place, and yes, it has come in leaps and bounds from a few years ago with Ubuntu et al with the easy install routs and the "user friendlyness" but then again, if you want all that, use windows and get everything you want there and then. (it "just works") if you want to actually run linux, then use gentoo and see what its like from a stage 1 -- and then you get the performance increases etc, and a more secure install, but no home user wants to do that.

until the question "why wont my game/app run" is removed from the end users vocab, linux has no place on the desktop -- as they are far too used to windows, office and having everything they do at work, work at home and vice versa.
The_10th
Grafter

Gone a bit Off Topic there! Cheesy I use Ubuntu on occasions and like the Open Source route but Windows has had such a major hold on companies and users for years it will be hard to change. Apple on the other hand have a nice approach to OS licencing which I believe is the major problem with Windows - price.

If you need to run all your old apps/hardware but believe 64 bit won't provide them all then, given that XP 64 bit didn't do it, go for 32 bit. Doesn't matter how much 'better' 64 bit is over 32 bit if it doesn't do all you want then what consolation is that?
N/A

I run Vista on my X2 4600 @ 2.9Ghz and its fine Smiley I have 2Gbs of ram and my system gets a comparison rating of 5.3 (its the slowest part in the system which is the hard drive)

Whilst I cant say I love MS products, Vista does seem a lot better Smiley The build I have (5600 I think) is slower than XP Pro but then its running 64 bit but 32bit programs, what do you expect?!