cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista curiosity!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Vista curiosity!!

I have had a game called "Upwords" (a bit like a variety of Scrabble) on CD for a number of years, it ran happily on Win95, 98, 98SE, Me and 2000 presumably in 800x600 mode, whilst it "does" run on XP (home) it does so in such a tiny sized window, as to make it almost impossible to play, and certainly not in the least enjoyable. My wife bought a new laptop recently loaded with Vista, and lo and behold "Upwords" runs absolutely normally and at full screen. My wife is delighted as it's she who actually plays it. However anybody hazard a guess why XP refuses to play it properly, I only tried it as an experiment, assuming Vista had more in common with XP rather than earlier versions of Windows, but then maybe it doesn't...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
The_10th
Grafter

Vista curiosity!!

Good news then! Smiley

Vista is a rewrite of Windows, unlike the previous versions of Windows.
Walrus
Grafter

Vista curiosity!!

Vista is a rewrite of Windows, unlike the previous versions of Windows.

How so?

NT 3.1
NT 3.5
NT 4.0
NT 5.0 - Windows 2000
NT 5.1 - Windows XP
NT 6.0 - Windows Vista

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT#Releases

In reponse to the original query - it is probably more down to the display driver and/or hardware used than the OS version that governs the behaviour of the screen when switching resolutions for games.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Vista curiosity!!

Spare: uhmm! I understand where you're coming from with drivers and hardware issues but!, at home (and one more in the office -which we don't talk about of course-) I have access to no less than 4 different computers each running XP 2 laptop, 2 desktop (only the office runs Professional) each with different hardware, all have the same reaction to Upwords. I have even approached Atari -who took over service issues with this and some other programmes when the original company went bust- who are aware of the problem, and may in due course issue a patch for it, that was nearly 3 years ago!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
The_10th
Grafter

Vista curiosity!!

How so?

OT but only going on what I read somewhere else - but it is a fairly big rewrite or is that wrong too? Wink Excuse me if I don't believe Wiki though as not always right.

Not that I am interested in the V word :lol:
Walrus
Grafter

Vista curiosity!!

all have the same reaction to Upwords.

I expect the 'Program Compatibility' tab in XP will go some way to solving your XP issue in that case.

Right click the program's shortcut, then 'compatibility', then check 'run this program in compatiblity mode for' and select an OS (I'd start with Windows 98/Me).

Excuse me if I don't believe Wiki though as not always right.

I only quoted the Wiki to reiterate my own knowledge, there only ever have been 2 windows families, 9x and NT. Yes it's a larger leap than Windows 2000 to XP, but not much.