Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista & Suse 10.1 - Suggestions Please

grahambritten
Grafter

Looking for some advice please.

Just built a new PC and am looking to use it is a test box over the next few months. Looking to install Vista RC1 and Suse 10.1, just don't know the best way to do it.

Brand new 320 GB hard drive, never been anywhere near an OS. Suggestions please on:-
    What order to install first, Vista or Suse?
    What partitions to create?
    How many?
    Size?
    File System?
    Any other software tools I need to complete this task?
Never installed multiple OS's before so apologies if I'm asking the obvious :!:

Thanks
12 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Install Windoze first (if you must! Tongue ) then Linux-- Any well behaved Linux distro will prompt you how and where to install it, will recognise the Windoze install and set up bootloading for peaceful coexistence, whereas if you try doing it the other way round Windoze will trample all over the Linux install and overwrite the bootloader as if it was the only thing that had any right to exist!

There's a bit of info here on setting up a Vista/Linux dual boot machine and it sounds as though changes to the HTFS filing system as used by Vista mean that at present partitions set up by a Vista installation can only be resized by Vista tools so you would presumably need to tell it exactly how much space you want it to occupy on installation

When you install Linux I would suggest you use ext3 for your filesystem rather than reiserfs partly because partitions can be resized fairly easily with a good partition editor like GPartEd
N/A

There is no point in installing Vista RC1 as its old RC2 is out and RTM is out in a few days and the full version is out in a few weeks. Often you cant upgrade from a beta to full version as it crashes so if you are going to use Vista wait for the full release or it may well screw linux up anyway.

The best way would do either put xp/Linux on or put Linux on and get a virtual pc for it and run vista that way. Or you could put on XP and get a virtual pc for that and run linux and vista

Virtual pc for windows is free from

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtualpc/default.mspx
shellsong
Grafter

Once Linux is installed, Vista crashing things won't necessarily wreck things completely, unless it managed to do a low level format of the whole disk, because Windoze doesn't understand ext3 and other Linux filesystems (and you could always save a copy of the MBR in case Vista did decide to have it's wicked way and overwrite it)

You can also use a Linux Live CD to reestablish GRUB if you want to
Community Veteran

Or you could use virtual machines.

Install SuSe or RHEL (or the free CentOS version) as the main OS, and run vmware server ( www.wmware.com ) on that. With Vista running as a virtual machine.

I have been plays with this techniology and its great, one minute running Linux switch vm’s and I have a Win XP installation that I can try new software on and roll back to a copy if you have problems.

You can even run more than one VM at once with vmware server.

A couple of things to watch for on vmwares free virtualization tools.

Player; Will only run one vm at a time, and you can not create new vm’s.
Server; Requires a server OS hence the Linux base.

Chilly
N/A

linux

suse is a great os...
have it on live cd, what a briliant program....
Phil_Collins
Grafter

Mandriva + M$ XP

I had no problems at all installing Linux Mandriva Powerpack 2007 on the same disk as XP, during setup Mandriva gives you a choice of customising the partion size and resizes the M$ partition for you .. make sure you run windows defrag before attempting to resize the Windoes partition .. I would recomemd Mandriva to anyone it is supurb no additional drivers were needed for my setup and all devices were detected automatically
I haven't had the desire to use windoes since install all my work stuff, Word docs are completely compatible with Open Office
:lol:
Phil_Collins
Grafter

BTW .. I found out what VISTA stands for:

V - Viruses
I - Intruders
S - Spyware
T - Trojans and
A - Adware

And thats just the stuff M$ put on it !!

:lol:
N/A

If you are not a PC gamer, then go for Linux!

The best distro by far to pick up first time is Ubuntu. It's a single CD install and is also popular among linux zealots.

I currently have an IBM Red Hat workstation which is great for running commercial software, but I am very impressed at how Ubuntu handles itself compared to Red Hat's free competitors Suse and Fedora.
lingbob
Grafter

The best distro by far to pick up first time is Ubuntu. It's a single CD install and is also popular among linux zealots.

It's also worth noting that v6.06 (Dapper Drake) is far more stable than v6.10 (Edgy Eft). Dapper is the one to go for IMO Smiley
N/A

Re: Vista & Suse 10.1 - Suggestions Please

Just built a new PC and am looking to use it is a test box over the next few months. Looking to install Vista RC1 and Suse 10.1, just don't know the best way to do it.

Install windows normally by booting from the DVD, set a custom partition size, leaving spare what you want available for SUSE, once you have completed yur windows install, simply boot from the SUSE DVD and it will automatically configure the free space as its own partition, detect windows, and configure the boot loader accordingly.
retep
Grafter

Maybe things are improved now but my previous experiences of trying to dual boot Windows XP (not Vista) and Linux have not encouraged me to do this. Linux seems to like to wipe out Windows XP partitions during installation, :-) and perhaps Windows Vista is even more appetising.

If your motherboard supports booting from different disks (and you have another disk to spare) why not install onto two different disks on there own and then use the BIOS boot feature its usually Function key 11 on boot.

Good Luck

Peter.
shellsong
Grafter

I've found the reverse with Linux installs being very courteous to Windoze and other OSs whilst Windoze, given a chance, wipes out any "foreign" boot loader information including that for Windoze newer than itself!