cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Users!-- Caveat Emptor

shellsong
Grafter

Before you fall head over heels for Vista I would suggest you have a really good look at http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

I'd be interested to hear any intelligent responses!
7 REPLIES
N/A

have a look at

http://badvista.fsf.org/

The Free Software Foundation are slamming vista and are planning on exposing all its tricks worth watching this space. I think MS has shot its self in the foot this time. Corp clients never had to activate their desktops but now they have to and they have to renew it every 180 days. To do this they have to run an extra server and if the product doesnt get activated it shuts down to only allowing IE.

People wont put up with this I worked at a bank with over 30,000 users imagine the problems activating all those
michaelscott
Grafter

I'll get it for free from MSDNAA Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

@michaelscott

That's not really the point! It looks as though they may have increased security in general but their fiddling with DRM/hardware activation/etc has opened up a whole new can of worms which makes it hardly worth a light even if they pay you for it! (There's no such thing as a free lunch)
N/A

you dont have to run a new server, its just another "roll" you can add to any of your external facing servers - not that big a deal.

Also it doesn't check every 120 days, it CAN check, so what?
All the clients have to do is check against one server, and thats it, big deal, it can be set to do it automatically -- oo effort..!!

MS are trying to stop you stealing their kit, what they have done isn't that annoying, and if you manage many windows desktops it will only take a few added mins to set this up, so its no real issue at all.

Of course OSS are slamming vista, they always do, they slammed XP, they slammed 2k -- who cares? most, if not all unbiased reviews are saying its good, its more secure than ever, its also really nice to work in, easy to maintain on a network (thanks to an even nicer AD now -- it was awesome in 2k/2k3/xp, its now even better)

for the user - its more secure, safer, and easier to fix -- how are these bad?

for those that are just anti microsoft software due to it being made by MS, get over it, you like linux, yay for you... most people like things to just work :p

Also they needed to implement DRM etc so that the end user can play back HDDVDs/BRdisks -- if they had not, then vista would be useless for playing such things as its the movie companies that are enforcing it, not MS -- and MS are just paying for it and implementing it so that the user can watch them.
N/A

A few extra mins to set up with 30,000+ users thats a lot of money and time. Then you can get false reading even with genuine corp edition.
Who says its more secure? MS Sophias pointed out that the top 15 malware can compromise Vista only time will tell if its more secure.
See
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/25/technology/25vista.html?_r=3&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&ref=technology&a...
for more flaws and its only been out a week

Who said its easy to fix? MS

I dont understand why they bother with activation all it does is annoy genuine customers pirates just crack it anyway. Vista was cracked like all other MS attempts within mins of it being released.
If they charged a reasonable price then people may be able to buy it Office 2007 is £200 more in the UK than in the states. Why pay all that money when you can get Openoffice etc for free?
N/A

thats a few mins , ONCE. if you dont actually know how it works, dont slag it off...

Its more secure in design, 99% of sites that have reviewed the product agree to this, its not just an MS thing, its now a fact.

"pirates" may have got around the WGA checks, but MS are being more and more proactive about this, so far there have been 3 hacks (i think) for vista, all now fixed, even before it goes into the mainstream -- and they cut back vista seriously if its illegal. if you get miss tagged as illegal its a 5min phone call to Ms (Free) and they give you a new key - wow, the hardship.

cant read link : no NYT account, however, in vista IE7 will sand box its self, and as such even if IE DOES Get compromised, it wont effect anything else on the system, and when you reload IE, the effected stuff will be removed (much like RAM) -- ergo, who cares?
shellsong
Grafter

It's not just a matter of M$ trying to protect their investment, as the writer of the link article explains there are major problems stemming from Microsoft's attempts to build protection for so-called "premium content" into Vista's core kernel functions

If you can't absorb what the original link was trying to convey it has also been explained here and here in El Reg