cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vista Shut Down

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Vista Shut Down

My wife has a new laptop with Vista installed. Is it possible to edit the list of Shut Down options to a) remove all the others except "shut down" or b) move "shut down" to the top of the list rather than the current "sleep"?

This may seem a very silly request, but my wife is a stroke and MS victim, with a very limited retention of short term memory, and this is becoming a real source of frustration for her (and me) Personally, I would have preferred to have had the XP she was used to, but that is another much longer story...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Vista Shut Down

N/A

Vista Shut Down

Have you looked at the Group Policy Options?

I've not got a Vista machine, so I'm taking an educated guess based on stuff I've heard/read in the past.

You need to run {gpedit.msc} (either {Start>Run}, if its showing, or {WinKey+R}, or use {Search} to locate the file, then run it)

Navigate through the Group Policies along the following path;

User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Start Menu and Taskbar.

Locate "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep and Hiberate Commands" and enable it.

Then you can set the power button on your laptop to Turn Off Computer, rather than the default, which is likely to be something useless like Hibernate by default.

Now, you need to run {powercfg.cpl} (either {Start>Run}, if its showing, or {WinKey+R}, or use {Search} to locate the file, then run it)

Alternatively Navigate to {Control Panel \ Power Options \ Change Plan Settings \ Change Advanced Power Settings}

Once you are there, expand {Power Settings and Lid}

You'll see an option for Power Button Action. Set it to Shut down.

You could do the same with the Lid if you want, or set that to Do Nothing, its often set to Hibernate by default too.

Hope this is useful, you might find other fun stuff in the groupd policy settings too. Wink
Community Veteran

Vista Shut Down

Many thanks Holtlane, this is the one that worked: www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic100136.html - 49k

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Vista Shut Down

And, thanks Sandyandjames as well, which is much the same advice as the web address.