cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual PC / Server

Community Veteran

Virtual PC / Server

Anyone ever used either of these tools? Ive installed virtual PC today to get a working ME system up and running for some testing and I must say its a pretty good piece of software and very realistic, down to the fact that it wont boot off my CDs and meant I had to find a floppy image on the net :twisted:

Chris
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Virtual PC / Server

I've not used that but I do use VMware with a lot of sucess for testing installs and Beta testing software. It certainly saves me many hours and even days in not having to reinstall systems to retest, you just start up a snapshot copy.

With the MS partner program, they now have downloadable images for running in Virtual PC for many of their recent OSs, they also use it for training apparently.
Community Veteran

Virtual PC / Server

When I installed it I nievely thought it would just download the software needed to run the guest OS from the net, I didn't realise I'd have to install it all, but hey thats all part of the game I guess.

I've got a few install CDs availalbe and can get some more quite easily should I need another OS, but hopefully ME will do nicely (and remain stable) for my testing.
Community Veteran

Virtual PC / Server

Out of all the Windows OSs, Me would be at the very bottom and if I could get away with it, it would not be on the list at all. One of the worse windows versions ever in my opinion.

Stability, reliability and Me never appear in the same sentance.

Do you really need to use Me? I would actually use 98SE if I was given the choice with one of the free memory managers to improve it's stability.
Community Veteran

Virtual PC / Server

I was one of the few people (if not the only person) I know who did like ME, I installed several solid builds of it back in the day and even got perl, apache and mrtg running at one point Smiley

I need one of the 9x systems for testing and ME will be most suitable for my needs as it also lets me have a play with the system restore options which I never played with in ME.

Im also trying to get windows 3.1 working just for fun.
shellsong
Grafter

Virtual PC / Server

Try Windows 3.0 why don't you! :lol: In fact I think I've got a copy of 2.0 somewhere! :roll: (some people are gluttons for punishment)

I preferred to use DrDOS until evil people forced me into using Windows by not providing DOS versions of software!
Community Veteran

Virtual PC / Server

I have win 3.0 3.1 and assorted MS DOS disks around somewhere....
The_10th
Grafter

Virtual PC / Server

Was sarcasm really necessary? :lol:

No, but funny nevertheless
N/A

Virtual PC / Server

I can beat that I have Windows version 1 and dos version 1 on 5 1/4 floppies and all version in between. I also have GEM (remeber that better than windows) and Desqview which came on a floppy and loaded 10 progams while you waited for windows to load.
I still have things like Dbase2 which ran on a floppy and had its own programinf language and of coarse good old Wordstar.

You want to see some of these old programs runing on a modern pc. I put the old Lotus Ami pro on a twin 2gig machine with 2 gig of ram running terminal server and you hae never seen anything load so fast in your life