cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Views on Norton Internet Security

N/A

I have just got this for my computer and I am amazed at the bashing it has got from computer users. Comments like ‘resource hog’ and ‘poor anti virus’ are common from people that have used it.

Strange thing is most of the PC magazine reviews seem to highly recommend it. I got it as it was an all in one including parental control.

Do people here have any views on it?
11 REPLIES
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Not a lover of Norton myself as i had it installed on my old pc and it caused a few problems, slow system, crashing etc. I know others however that use it, like it and have no issues at all. I think like with other software its best to try it for yourself and see.
Tiger50
Grafter

I have used norton for years at home (2 laptops,4 pc's) and at work I have installed the corp versions on our 53 networked computers at work.

I found with 2004 and 2006 windows would take longer start on boot, and they also slowed windows down.

The combantion I run at home is NIS 2005 & AD-Aware6se on all my computers and have not had any problems.........

I have 2 test computers for testing different O/S and software and these computers take a thrashing, and again NIS 2005 & AD-Aware do a fine job while in every day use.

I work for a computer firm and we build / re-furbish 100s of laptops/desktops a month.

As stated above 2004/2006 do take their toll, but security comes at a price...

For me NIS 2005 & AD-Aware do the job at home..
jabb0
Grafter

My view is that i dont like paying for bells and whistles - yeah it looks great and does 1001 things... all i really want is a Virus Scanner!!!

In my experience it did kinda hog alotta resources - i went for AVG as my new Virus Scanner, best decision ever.
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

AVG here too.
Alecto
Grafter

I used NIS for many years on the grounds that it had a good reputation and it must be better than the free ones since it cost money.

However, it did noticeably slow some things down, and on at least two occasions they issued updates that totally scuppered the performance of the machine.
They then denied that it was the updates doing it, then quietly issued corrections without saying anything. I found this out through various forums where others had the same problem.

So I ditched it for free AVG and free Zonealarm. I was a bit worried about doing so at first, but have never looked back.
I've had none of the updating problems that NIS caused, and as far as I can see the computer is still just as safe - some may say safer.

They're both incredibly small compared with Norton, and don't try and run your life like Norton does. I'd definitely recommend changing.
Why not try it for a few weeks, uninstall NIS, run Crapcleaner, download free AVG and Zonealarm and see what you think. YOu can always go back (but I think you won't).
Midville
Grafter

Use Norton Internet Security 2005, had no majors problems with it. It may slow my PC down but I don't really notice the difference.
N/A

i used to ues norton but i cant b bothered updating the subscription. i now use avg which is reliable and automatically updates 4 me. i would nvr go bck to norton unless it was free and they got rid of all the rubbish that just isnt needed
N/A

There is another one I consider worth thinking about, and I must admit I do not see it mentioned much, and that is F-Prot.

I personally have used it since it was F-Prot for DOS and when I bought the wife her laptop I installed F-Prot for Windows and never once has it let us down. Updates are available on an almost daily basis and usually the day a new virus is discovered the update is not far behind. It hardly uses any resources; just gets on with the job in the background..... keeps an eye on emails coming in. In other words a small but very efficient piece of anti-virus software.

I must admit though it does cost approx. £20 per year which may well be the reason I do not see much mention of it in discussions relating to anti-virus software, and I do not know how much if anything it costs per year to keep Norton fully up to date.

Just a few thoughts not a particular fan..... it is just a tool that has alway in my experience just got on with the job without any bells & whistles and never failed me which is my personal preference as to how software of that type should work.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

I have gone through Norton Internet Security in its various forms from 2003 and I don't like the way it scatters itself all over the registry and the number of running applications it creates. I believe that 2006 is much lighter but there is an entrenched body of opinion which won't touch it with a bargepole.
I assume from the comments that you have been reading Wilders Security forum. Fundamentally on your system you won't notice any significant slowdown.
Given all that I will be converting my remaining computers to Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) once it goes on full release as it does everything I want and is very light on resources.
In terms of tests this test shows that the firewall is already much better than Norton and it is generally accepted that it has the best antivirus capability (except for heuristic where Nod32 wins).
N/A

I wouldn't use Norton on my pc ever again!!
Over the years Norton has "locked" my partner out of the NIS settings on his pc, also I could not install new versions after uninstalling older NIS, then I could not install any antivirus after norton!
Over the years I have wasted hours trying to sort out problems caused by Norton so will never go back to them.
My partner still has it because he dare not uninstall it and go for a freebie, however I reformatted and for years have used various antivirus progs and have come back to avg.
Lets face it none of want to waste time sorting out pc problems, but Norton certainly caused me a few in the past!
N/A

Pesters the death out of you with false positives and warnings then lets the real nasties through.