cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing internet history offline

N/A

I'm a newcomer to broadband (3 weeks) and not very technical so hope someone can help in easy-to-digest terms.

I'm running XP Prof and Internet Explorer and have found that I cannot view any of my web pages offline; history is all listed but not accessible unless I connect. The same applies to home page and favourites, altho all supposedly available offline. The only exceptions are some (not all) history pages from around 4 weeks ago (pre-broadband) which I can still view offline.

Maybe I've chosen some wrong settings or disturbed them but I cannot see anything obviously wrong.

What's wrong, please? How do I put it right (retrospectively if possible)?

Nick
5 REPLIES
N/A

To make Web pages available offline
Open Internet Explorer.
Access the Web page you want to make available offline.
On the Favorites menu, click Add to Favorites.
Select the Make available offline check box.
To schedule updates for the Web page and how much content to download, click Customize.
Follow the instructions on your screen.

also check cache size.
If you are on the umetered option then don't bother going offline.
N/A

Thanks, Likely, but I think I've done what you said. I never had the basic offline viewing problem before I went broadband. I'm not unmetered so offline viewing is relevant - in any event, it is quicker/easier to view history offline than to reload pages online.

So, what now?
N/A

Go to control pannel ->internet options -> tempoary files -> settings and adjust how thepages update. Also check to see how much space is left in the cache. You can just save pages form the file menu in IE. Do you have windows update runing. The change may be due to a newer version of IE
N/A

Thanks again, but I already realised that these settings are relevant. They appear OK; no fiddling withy them (or anything else I can identify) makes a difference. Yes, I am getting Windows updates and I think IE has been updated recently. I also have Spybot and Adaware 6 active. I guess some of these progs are inter-acting - but can't I solve that by disabling or reloading etc?

This viewing difficulty seems a pretty fundamental problem and surely ought to be readily soluble. Would an alternative browser be better?
N/A

FireFox, mozzilla, oprea and good options. I would go for firefox