cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Capture Suggestions

N/A

Hi chaps.

Could anyone recommend a god tv/video capture card for recording stuff from my camcorder.

There seems to be a lot 'out there'', and I'm on a budget.

Cheers,
John
8 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

I'm assuming it's not a DV camcorder with a DV Firewire Output?
N/A

If you want something cheap then you can get a Wintv card as this gives you TV/Radio and Video and you can capture video from it it cost as little as £30.
N/A

Cheers for that - I'm looking at ways to pull it in analogue at the moment, although a friend of mine has a DV camera with a firewire port.

Is that a straightforward process (as I'd need to get a firewire card to try it out)?
N/A

I'm just about to acquire a Video capture card and have settled on the LEADTEK TV2000XP DELUXE (£32.98 from Ebuyer, £32.23 from PC World). This is after having read customer reviews of it on www.ebuyer.com., my usual supplier for computer stuff. I will use it to transfer material from an analogue camcorder. It will be edited in Vegas Video and burnt to DVD with DVD Architect.

Note that you can also burn a VCD or SVCD (with menu) which will work in most DVD players, using NERO and an ordinary CD writer.

It is a shame there isn't a capture card without al the bells & whistles of TV & radio, as I shan't be using them.

If you have firewire and a digital camcorder with ANALOGUE PASS TRHOUGH, you can also transfer material from an analogue camcorder, by connecting its output to the video input of the digital cam, and the output of the digital cam to the firewire input.

For all things DV and DVD, see http://www.videohelp.com/ (has an american bias though).
Community Veteran

Octobers PCW has an article on this subject.

Chilly

PS Can any explain to me why Octobers issue of PCW has just hit the shelves in the middle of August !!!
Community Veteran

It's because of the competion and the shelf life of the mags.

Over time the magazines have pushed their copies out earlier and earlier between them. Originally it was release at the beginning of the month of publication. Then some others decided to issue it a few weeks in advance and this creep has continued over the years to the silly situation we have now.

It also means the shelf life of the mag is longer (in the current case anyone seeing it in Aug & sept may still think it's current and buy it).

It is getting rediculus but it may be impossible to reverse the trend now.
Pathfinder
Grafter

I would go for a hauppague pvr-250 or pvr-350. They both do hardware based encoding of the stream and so dont hammer your CPU. The pvr-350 also does hardware decoding and has TV-OUT. Im going for two pvr-250's myself and will hook these up to a media-mvp to stream films, music, live and recorded tv to my main television using GB-PVR to add control direct from TV.
N/A

hauppauge pvr 250

You meant "hauppauge pvr 250", as Google told me. Looks like a very good card, most especially if it does the encoding on its own hardware (but only to MPEG1 & 2), which means no dropped frames. Customer reviews on EBUYER express full satisfaction, although one complained of sound & video going out of synch. Price: £80.99 on Simply Computer, £77.84 on Ebuyer. Apparently does not come with cables, and has no radio tuner (fine by me).