cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verifying CPU speed

N/A

Verifying CPU speed

Hi,

Bought a pc yesterday but i'm not too sure if the pc cpu is what the guy said it was, is there anyway i can see what the cpu speed is in genuine? so i know what i got paid for, don't really wanna take the cpu heatsink off to look thouh.

Thanks Wink

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Post moved to more suitable forum. Title has also been made more useful than "help".]
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Verifying CPU speed

Yup - right-click "My Computer", click "Properties" and take a look at the info shown there.

Thomas
zpeterk
Grafter

Verifying CPU speed

If the chips been over clocked it will only show as the overclocked speed not what it was sold as. You will have to read what it says on the chip
N/A

Verifying CPU speed

Some system information utilities are better than others. They will interogate the chip and calculate the speed based on model and even serial number if they have to.

Somthing else you can do.

Goto the BIOS and note all settings (should you want to return to the exact settings).

Reset the settings to factory defaults and where needed, the CPU clock settings to auto.

You should now be in a better position to see what the speed is.

If you want a better opinion, goto a computer shop, and pay for them to work it out for you, noting why you want it done. The type of work will be at minimal cost.

Just don't use PC World
Community Veteran

Verifying CPU speed

Use CPU-Z which will show what the real device is (the Specification field) and the speed it is running at (The core speed). If your not familiar with what speeds a named device should run at just post the details (the specification & all the details under clocks) and we can tell you if it's overclocked or not.

An overclocked processor will be detected as a higher speced and named processor by the BIOS however the BIOS settings will usually tell you if it's been overclocked (if you know where to look).
Community Veteran

Verifying CPU speed

Nice one Peter. I've just downloaded and tried that program.
Seems very useful and runs straight from the exec file without installing anything on your PC.
lowry
Grafter

Verifying CPU speed

That is quite an excellent little utility. I am impressed with that. Told me some things about my system which I probably should have known but didn't Smiley - the exact core speed of my processor in mhz, detailed info about my RAM, and lots more besides.

Thanks Peter,
matt Wink
N/A

Verifying CPU speed

Any reason why you think it isnt genuine?
N/A

Verifying CPU speed

well if its an AMD chip the "my computer" idea will show it clocking at a stupidly poor speed compared the they HUGE number of the chip its self.

the best way to see how good ur pc is to get a program called Super_Pi and make it do 1million decimals.. should take between 30 s and 3 mins.

now you can really see how good ur CPU is :p

Buz
N/A

Verifying CPU speed

That will tell you nothing new.

If the vendor is selling a 2.6Ghz P4 at 3.0Ghz, without telling the users, then benchmarking will show 3.0Ghz.

Thats similar to given somebody 100 simple math questions, and saying the have a super high IQ because they got them all right.

The fact the questions/benchmarking completed fast and accuratly, may be squeued by the questions themself.

Using CPU identification markings is the only way to say what the chip actualy is.
N/A

Verifying CPU speed

not really cos if you forget about the numbers that intel and amd use and go by a standalone app you can compare with other PCs out there on a level playing feild