cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN

Martynhr

VPN

Can anyone help me? Shockedops:

I have XP pro on my home PC and I want to access my files preferably using a VPN from my laptop remotely.
My PC is connected to ADSL via a D-Link Router (which has port forwarding enabled to the appropriate PC for the VPN) and the PC has a static LAN IP Address assigned for simplicity.
I have enabled incomming connections on the PC and have setup an outgoing connection to a VPN on my laptop but I still cannot connect to the PC remotely even with all the firewalls disabled. Cry

Has anyone succesfully used VPN on a ADSL connection?
If so what am I doing wrong? HELP!!!
5 REPLIES
N/A

VPN

I asked what I think is a similar question 6 months ago and received a fantastically helpful response which has allowed me to use remote desktop before from home computer and internet cafes and computers around the world to access my office computer.

The link to my query and responses is:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=115857#115857

Basically the trick was, on the computer that you want to be able to access remotely, forward the following transport types and ports to the internal ip of your computer (on my router it was under security and Advanced NAT configuration.

TCP 3389
UDP 3389

and ensure that remote desktop is enabled ( windows + Pause -> remote ->> "tick allow remote desktop" )

Then on your laptop (or remote computer): Windows + r -> mstsc -> type in home ip -> hit connect and you shout get a winodw pop up with the login for your computer.

You will want to have static ip enabled to ensure that your home computer is always available on the same ip.

Mark
Martynhr

VPN

Thanks i'll try it when i get home. Is it secure? Also does the home PC need to be logged on to a user or can it still be remotely accesses while the computer is at the XP logon screen?
N/A

VPN

I don't know about the security.

I usually use my machine logged out and then log in remotely. I have never tried when the computer is logged in to a user.

Hope that helps.

Mark
Martynhr

VPN

Thanks for your help Mark. I am going to try to connect tomorrow. (Providing I can instruct the other half to set up remote desktop on the home PC!)
:?
I have done a little digging on the security of remote desktop and apparently it is secure as it uses some microsoft protocol, how secure though I don't know.

Also you mentioned that the router ports 3389 have to be forwarded.
I have done this but according to microsoft you can specify your own ports to increase security by adding a colon and then the port number after the ip address of the computer your connecting to (eg. 192.168.0.1:80 etc.). Handy to know so you dont have to leave the default port used by RD open to intrusion. Cheesy

Cheers

Martyn
N/A

VPN

Yes this is possible but a little tricky . Here's what I did.

The best approach is to use a VPN endpoint router. ie a router that has a VPN server in it not just a pass through. Draytek vigors are examples of this. They alos have good setup guides. at their site draytek.co.uk. Also a good idea to use a dynamic dns alias rather than the username.plus.net dns entry as this cleverly will follow you about when you use dialup. I use dnsalias.org

Plan B is to open the correct ports on the router for passthrough and allow the XP machine to be the VPN server, but I think it only will act as a PPTP server, which is the easiest to set up as it doesn't encypt. I hope the Laptop

I'd only recommed remote desktop as a plan C as although it is hard to break you will still get people scanning for it and they will try common passwords.

I still haven't got L2TP/IPsec working reliabally between a laptop and home but I have set up an ipsec tunnel between 2 plus.net adsl services using a vigor 2600 and a linksys wag-54g

Best post your hardware setup here and some logs if you can get them.

Simon