cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN query

rascom
Grafter

VPN query

One of neighbours has asked me if I can help them move their ADSL account over to PlusNet from Demon. They also then want the ability to connect into their work network from home so are thinking of a VPN scenario. I've not done anything with VPN over broadband connections - the hardware at both ends if the Netgear DG834 and both ends will be using DHCP for network addressing.

Should this still be possible and, if so, can anyone point me in the right direction to help them get this set up?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

VPN query

Yes it should work as the router supports VPN passthrough so you should also not need to do much on the routers either - maybe some port forwarding.

Plusnet don't restrict any kind of VPN traffic on their network so it will be a router/PC config issue if it does not work. In theory, if it is working now via Demon, it will work exactly the same via Plusnet so you should not actually have to change anything.

Also, as the ADSL will be used for VPN to work, you should be looking at the teleworker (512K & 1Mb options) or teleworker pro (512K, 1Mb & 2Mb options) products as they are designed for home working and connectig to company networks, in case you thought a residential option would surfice.
rascom
Grafter

VPN query

Thanks for the info Peter. They've not got any VPN at the moment, is it easy enough to sort or have you got a good link I can head for to help them set it up?
Community Veteran

VPN query

I use CheckPoint SecuRemote over my Plus.Net connection, without any problems.

Chilly
Community Veteran

VPN query

It really depends on what software they intend to use for VPN. If it is a company supplied software package, they should have a IT dept or someone who knows how to set it up that should be able to explain what needs to be done.

In practice VPN software should work through any router but some may require specific ports to be opened up in the routers firewall for it to function properly, which depends on the package being used. There is no 'how to setup VPN' web pages as such.
rascom
Grafter

VPN query

Thanks Peter. They really have got nothing in place at the moment. It's a husband and wife business and the wife is off ill at the moment and is going to be unable to get into their office for about 6-8 weeks. The VPN idea is so that she can connect in to just help out from home with minimal moving around and then they'll just the service afterwards as a standard home broadband account.

The IT dept is themselves! I'll take a nose round some sites for them and look into any freebie VPN software as it's only for limited time usage.