cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN and MS outlook

N/A

VPN and MS outlook

Hi, can anyone please help me with this.

I am trying to connect my laptop to work from homevia my plus connection. I am using a zoomX4 modem and additionally a sofaware s-box supplied by work for establishing the vpn. I can get onto the internet using the laptop fine, connect the vpn no problem but then when I go into outlook and try to get my mail etc it just says "connecting to exchange server" then eventualy fails as if outlook cant find the server. IT have checked the set up of the host files and address for the server etc but they are a bit stumped on why it doesnt connect correctly.
Incidentally I can get my mail via dial up using securemote id no problem but clearly this is a pain in the ***!

Any ideas?
Cheers
Dave
3 REPLIES
N/A

VPN and MS outlook

When you connect at work to exchange outlook looks for a server called(what ever its name is) and being local if it ask for the exchange server ex1 it gets a reply from local services telling it were to find it like its ip.

When you logon via vpn depending how this is done outlook doesnt know were to find the server and has no one to ask.

So the answer depending how the vpn is working is to give outlook either a ip address of the server or map a drive and use a drive to connect. In these cases it is often better to use exchange webmail as you only need to put in the exchange ip in the browser(assuming EX2000).
Community Veteran

VPN and MS outlook

In my company we stick a HOSTS and LMHOSTS file on each remote user's computer with the information for the name of the exhcange server and it's IP address.
Hosts files are in Windows\System32\drivers\etc in NT Based operating systems, the samples are pretty self explainatory.

Chris
N/A

VPN and MS outlook

I have a number of off site staff who use outlook remote through VPN. Apart from the host and lmhosts files, I would recommend Outlook 2003 as you can setup the exchange profile using 'cached exchange mode'. You will see this as an option when setting up a new exchange account. Works very well.